- Incline Club Newsletter, including Teva Game Race Report from Carpenter … the age factor is slowly starting to play its hand. There is just no more denying the fact that kids in their 20s like these two are going to start getting the confidence to run with or even away from me. Unfortunately for them, I am not ready to accept that fact yet and I shall train with even more focus. Unfortunately for me, and as much as it pains me to admit it, father time catches us all. But for now I will try to win that race as well.
- Agreed to meet Timmy G and Peter at Teller Farm. I got out there early with the goal of getting so called extra credit, running that part easy and then not caring about pace or HR when I caught up with them. I got in a little over 9 (avHR =142), before catching up with them. The pace was only slightly faster (about 15 sec a mile), but HR averaged for that section 151 with a couple ticks above 160. It all felt easy, but I am feeling a little of the load over the last six days (82 miles). 16 miles on this run.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Thursday 062509
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice job GZ. And it was smart (although I'm sure it was necessity too)to place the harder effort at the end. Because of fatigue and probably dehydration, the higher HR wasn't 100% indicative of effort or metabolic strain. So the higher HR could possibly have been placing a similar stress on you as the lower HR. As you get more and more aerobically fit you will see less drop off in pace (or increase in HR at the same pace) as you go. This is a great way too to judge specific fitness for a long race. When I get super fit my pace stays fairly even and my HR doesn't climb even after ~13 miles. This shows good endurance. Hydration during these longer runs will also help tremendously to stabilize HR.
ReplyDeleteSomething that I have been thinking a bit about recently is what I hear from a lot of runners about not wanting to use HR and go only by PE. I have yet to see any runner (outside of elites) that show signs of knowing their PE with any degree of accuracy. I see guys pushing the pace early, then proving clearly that they didn't know how hard they were running by falling off sharply at the end. The HR monitor can be a very effective tool for teaching a runner what a realistic PE is. I realized the other day that I have this habit of guessing my HR before I look at my watch. I have a very solid sense of my HR with out looking- my guesses are within 2 beats of my actual HR 100% of the time. So this is something that can be useful to you and anyone. And although it may not seem like it- I don't think that HR monitoring is the end all be all way to race or even to train all the time. When it comes time to race it's time to race. But if you can learn even a little bit from it, then you're a smarter runner. And I know as we get older it's less about the raw efforts we put in day after day, and more about training smart.
Just like in the past, do NOT show up for race #2 if MC did not win the the first one, lol.
ReplyDeleteBrett ... his quote ... "But it is just my way that I tend to dwell on the losses more than the wins and I will focus on that in order to do better next time."
ReplyDeleteLucho ... great points. I definitely have become more attuned to my HR - even without even looking at it. I can sense the small differences between say 135 and 140 and 145 and 150. I am not to two beats yet, but I can feel the slight variations just after a week of working at this game.
Agree as well on the race. I wore the HR monitor at MW just for more ... "data"