- More Mount Washington video by JJ from the 90s. Spotted Elliott in the 99 video (the year he came back from not running for several years to take second at Pikes in 2:23 behind Wright) … ), and the hair on Carpenter in the 98 video is impressive (he’d run 3:44 in the marathon that year).
- Mount Washington weather. Looks like rain on race day.
- Bobby McGee at BRC next week
- Good preview of Lake City by Justin
- Very nice post that captures why we do this by Anton. …all I really have to do is take one more calculated, perfectly-placed, as-efficient-as-possible footstep. Certainly I can take one more step? Of course, and, little by little, the ground is covered, the delta elevation is scaled, the absolute presence is experienced. Nothing else even exists but the here and now of inching my way up this goddamn mountain.
- Brandon has been taking some video up on the peaks west of town.
- 10 miles, 73 minutes. Not exactly what I had planned but not bad. I wanted to get in a longer run that progressed over the end. I slept like crud last night though and did not get up in time to get this one in the books before work. I ended up going mid day (warm) and pressed a bit for time. After four miles easy (capped 150 again, 7:45-8 pace), I picked up a four mile tempo, including up and down the Simms Hill (6.5% for about a half mile in there). HR averaged 171 over this stretch, hitting 180 at one point in the heart of Simms Hill. This never felt that bad though. I have found that I am hitting higher HRs on runs but without a higher level of perceived effort (?). Came back down the hill and got a bit of turn over but was able to keep the HR up a bit. Desperately needed a bio break (use your imagination) at four miles in, so I cut it there and just added two miles cool down. Again, not what I planned but not bad – a little spike to keep the movement going, but not too much.
- In the evening I went to a Rockies game. Yes – my third game in five days! JZ and his baseball team were walking the field perimeter as part of pre game ceremonies. I also was able to connect with a guy I knew from HS and that I had not seen in at least 20 years plus – as he is passing through Denver / Colorado as part of a bigger vacation.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Tuesday 061609
Labels:
Kid Stories,
Matt Carpenter,
Mount Washington,
Running,
Scott Elliott
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
At first I was going to post something funny about Matt's hair.
ReplyDeleteThen I realized that if I were ever half that fast, I would go bald, grow a Fletch Afro, whatever it took...
Looks like Matt is about 10 pounds lighter now versus then and has an even faster cadence slightly.
For some reason, he reminds me of the predator when he's charging up that final hill w/ the hair...
ReplyDelete"Desperately needed a bio break (use your imagination) at four miles in, so I cut it there and just added two miles cool down. Again, not what I planned but not bad – a little spike to keep the movement going, but not too much. I will get HR data and stuff uploaded later."
ReplyDeleteBio break? A little spike to keep the movement going? Sounds like the 2006 PPA.
Yeah ... the oatmeal cookie for breakfast caught up with me. Ick.
ReplyDeleteI forwarded the youtube link to Matt.
this is crazy, you run seriously so close to me! nuts. I still remember you correcting me at camp... you asked how I was and I said "doing good" and you told me, "no, food is good - you do things well". Ha! Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteJenna - food is good and you do things well.
ReplyDelete