- Started the AM with expectations to do 20, building the effort over the length of the run. I could tell from the earliest steps that I just did not feel that great. The pace to HR was looking fine so I figured I might just need to shake things out a bit. But it never shook out. Rather than pushing the pace over the second half I just ran without worrying about upping the effort much. The HR naturally drifted up a touch anyway – but I did not drive the pace effort at all. This essentially became just a long run, rather than a long progression run – which is fine. 20 miles, AvHR = 147, max 166 (hills climbing towards end), nothing faster then seven minute pace.
- Post of the day … I find it very funny when runners say they are going to use a race as a workout. What are all the workouts for if you go to a race and consider the effort equal to another workout? Too many runners, in my humble opinion, choose to define a race as another workout. I wish for once, I could hear a runner say I am going to my next race and try to kick ass. DQ
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Wednesday 072909
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think it depends on the race. legitimately used the silver rush 50 miler last year as training to practice pacing and fueling. I don't have the discipline to do a 50 mile training run alone. I can also honestly say I use 5 and 10k races for training for the same reason. Some folks, like you, Lucho, and many others have the drive and focus to train alone like you're in a race (speedwork, etc); I need the motivation of an event to do it.
ReplyDelete