Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday 100209

Definitely have a cold.  It is sitting in the top of the chest right now – so not bad.  I think this means I will be running the snot train hard next week.

Some reading … I want to dig into this a bit more on the 100 day plan, a podcast on getting into ultras, a debate of sorts on ultra performance of the year that rankled me a bit, more on Jornet’s run at Tahoe, another good Pb100 report (this is a really good read – although I am not sure if it leaves me inspired to do a race like Pb or absolutely terrified).

I have been asked by a couple of folks if I am going to do this race or that one (varying from a short XC race in the next week to some 98 mile race in a nearby town next summer).  The short answer is I just don’t know yet and I am fine with that.  Right now I am busy with Scouts, soccer, kid school, etc – and just content to get out for some easy fall running.  The little longer answer … I am loosely playing with the goal of 3650 for the year – but that is just a number, and it might mean nothing if I end up doing a lot of 2 hour runs in the mountains that are only seven miles (and I am feeling compelled to go back and check all the math just to be sure anyway).  All good.  Running, family, good times, cool temps, beer.  The itch is under all that there - I just ain’t needing to scratch it yet.  The itch moves from day to day – with it going from breaking five in the mile again, to getting it together for USATF masters XC, to racing burros, to that mountain down south that I see every day as I drive into the office, to do an ultra.  I am sort of content (but not really?) to watch it move.  When it settles into a spot, I will scratch it until it bleeds.  Yeah – I know I am repeating what I said essentially a month ago … (if you read this blog a lot you probably have noticed that I am repeating myself from its very start …)

image



Mid afternoon – 10 miles.  Snuck into Eldo Park via the back path at the stone entry to Eldo Springs “City.”   Beautiful fall afternoon – with a great combo of cool and sun.   Felt great again on the front end of this run but slowly unraveled to thrashing a bit towards the end.  Nothing super bad, but just not strong throughout.  Forgot that this run has a decent amount of climbing in it after picking up the trail in Eldo Park, and some “slight” technical footing.  It has great views however.  Turned around just before the big drop into Walker Ranch.
 PA010251PA010252 PA010253 PA010247

A lot of my runs have been like this as of late.  It is like I am running against myself – even when they are easy, rather than with myself.   Does that make sense?  It is no biggie really because I just accept it and enjoy the run and the scenery.  But it seems like every run is something like the groin (today), or the Achilles, or something else.  And I run a bit around that … which – is hard to describe – but it as if I have to work around some burden … which takes a slow toll.  Whatever.  I am sure the cold, that TZ thinks is actually the swine flu, did not help.

Evening – 3 miles around the soccer fields – REALLY slow.

7 comments:

  1. Glad you're not underplaying the importance of beer. If you haven't already had the pleasure, Boulder Beer's Flashback Anniversary Ale is the perfect finish to a fall day of running. Supposedly, it's not going to be around too much longer. I'm stocking up.

    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the same run I did but I came from over the other side. It would kind of cool to meet up on the trail some time. Have you considered taking a week or two off completely and getting healed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would have been cool.

    Certainly - the thought has crossed my mind. Alternatively, I have been dealing with the groin issue for two years - and despite other periods of time off - it does not just heal. Similarly with the Achilles (never put your foot in a lawn mower).

    I think the saying is, are you hurt or injured? I ain't injured.

    But there might be some time off in the mix to reset things a bit anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much has your diet changed since PPM? You might just need to adjust that a little to help how you're feeling in the 2nd half of a 10 mile run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting a vasectomy in 2 weeks and have to take 2 weeks off afterward... you could try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might not be able to keep up with you in training. I am not sure I want to keep up with you in this sort of recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rick - I have added adult beverages.

    ReplyDelete