Monday, October 18, 2010

Mental house cleaning (or barfing)

1.) I love racing but I don’t race much.  I love so much about racing.  The anticipation of it.  The hum energy of the participants.  The testing of yourself.  That feeling you have when you get to 2/3rds of the race where you wonder if you are going to be able to hold on.  The failure.  The success.

But I don’t race a lot.  And that is for a few reasons.  There are parts of me that find it to be incredibly self indulgent.  A race becomes a focal point around me, almost to a point that I wonder if that is right.  I mean, in a race I am doing something I can do for free and without it taking up as much time as it does.  That is – I can go and run hard whenever the heck I want without the cost ($) of the race, or all the time associated with it (getting there, etc).

I am not going to give up racing mind you – because I do love it.  But I do see this paradox in how I feel about it.

2.) There are way too many people driving cars and texting these days.  I can’t say this scientifically, but I think that has to be more dangerous than driving with a BAC of 0.05.

3.)  JW – great quote:  clear the negative thoughts and kill yourself out there... if you blow you blow... racing is for racing... not thinking!  I agree with this sentiment.  Once you go, you go.  That does not mean you don’t race smart, but you can’t undo what you have done in a race.

4.) I had a great conversation with Lucho on Saturday.  IM, logs, strength, VO2, ultras, the edge, fatherhood, tomahawks … I find my talks with him to be very motivating.  The guy oozes motivation.

5.) I found this race time predictor (one distance time predicting a different race distance time) and it seems that my 17:40ish 5ks actually align well with my performance yesterday.

6.)  In the past, my race results seemed very much aligned with certain workouts I did.  If I could do four by a mile at say 5:20 pace with one minute rest, then I was pretty likely to do 16:40 for a 5k.  It seems as of late, none of my workouts predict what I can do in a race.  In fact, I seem to struggle in workouts as of late, and out perform that in a race.  Good problem to have I guess.

7.)  I am pretty confident in saying I have a good base.  I enjoy immersing myself in some level of mileage, almost more for head time than the training benefit.  My mileage thus far on the year is the highest it has ever been for this day-date.  I see runs at low HRs where I am clipping low sevens.   But ask me to break six minutes, or heaven forbid 5:45 for a mile continuously and it is a struggle.  The pace difference between 6 and 5:30 is big.   I need to do work that makes 5:30 seem comfortable, sustainable.  The workouts to do this are pretty self evident, but my problem has been that I compromise those workouts by pounding out miles before them.  Seems easy to solve, but I have to change my habits so to speak.  In other words, if I want to get serious about breaking 17 minutes for a 5k (again), I need to revisit these habits to find the right mix of miles that don’t compromise the workouts.  Quality ought not to significantly impact quantity and quantity ought to not significantly impact quality.

8.) I raced in the compression socks yesterday for the first time ever.  I did not notice any difference in racing in them so I am not sure if I will do that again.  That said … maybe I don’t feel nearly as sore today because of that? 

9.)  Or maybe the way to immunize yourself from soreness in a half marathon on the roads is to do Pikes.

10.)  I am increasingly aware of certain muscular weakness that I am avoiding.  Particularly in my upper quads and hips.  I can feel this weakness in a variety of motions, but not really in regular running.  That said, I am sure my running would benefit from working these, this area.  I dread it because I know how weak I am there and how hard that work will be … but I need to establish the habits of the squats, the core work.  Again, this sort of ties back to the realization of how serious I am about this or how much I am not.  I often know what I need to do, but often don’t elect to do it because … I am too busy, or I have not made it a habit or … excuses.  Not sure if they will go away. 

11.)  When I run into folks and they say “I read your blog and I find it to be very inspirational!” I am both a bit proud and humbled.  I am proud of course because one of the ideas I have behind this blog is that we can all inspire each other.  I am inspired by other blogs and what they do and under the conditions they do it.  These are not elite athletes, but everyday folks, making choices to better something greater than they are and are willing to fail to do it.  So, if this blog helps someone in that regard, I am glad to hear that. 

But I am sort of blown away by it.  Suddenly you realize you have the microphone, and you are on the stage.  And really you did not do anything to deserve to be.

12.)  It is a bit warped I realize, but one of my favorite sport moments to be a spectator of is the last six miles of a marathon.  And not that crazy stuff that the elites do at Chicago.  I mean the every man types back there.  This is a true to life gut check where your gums sweat, and your spirit is put to the fire.  I have had the privilege of seeing it the last two years at Denver and I love it.  Folks leave Wash Park, all aglow and ready to hit their target, their PR, whatever.  2 miles later their faces are ashen, their shoulders crouched, they struggle to run paces that seem pedestrian to what they had did 15 minutes ago.  It is a test.  Having that front seat view has been incredibly inspiring to me.

13.)  Next up for me …think I am going to chase mile, 5k, 10k stuff for the rest of the year but will still look to do some other stuff … like some long run in the mountains Halloween weekend.  And my chasing does not mean a race every weekend (see above).

14.)   Off to Arlington VA next week.  Where to run?

15.)  I have been itching to get to the mountains, particularly to get a view of the foliage, but along the same lines as above regarding races … I am just getting in stuff out my front door these days.  It feels very self indulgent to tack on an hour for mountain trips these days.

16.)  Masters stuff.  It feels weird to me to say “second master.”  Okay, I get it and I appreciate it.  I know that as I get older my ability to throw down with a 22 year old goes out the window.  But … I am not a big fan of things like Pikes saying I was top master when I was actually third behind Carpenter and Boettcher (they were pulled out of Masters category as they were top ten).  Even worse is that crazy crap that they do with age graded performances.   Telling me a 90 year old outperformed a 40 year old on race day based on some math equation is interesting – but do not provide awards based on it.

17.)  I think I am turning the page on this Nutella stuff.  It seems pretty good.  But I have not read “Born to Run” yet and I am not itching to do so.

18.)  I remain a bit surprised actually at how much interruptions to training, or less than ideal conditions seem to have hardly any effect on performance.  I’d say my gaining a bunch of weight with recent business travel, and excursions to Vegas have not been ideal for my training, but clearly the general consistency I have has overridden those potential pitfalls.

19.)  This song was in the mix yesterday morning to get me in the groove.

20.)  Am I the only one that has fantasies about loosing your sh*t with TSA at the airport and screaming how flipping stupid this all is? 

21.)  Ritz would have had his hands full with Mario yesterday.

22.)  Data from RnR from yesterday: 
image

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out...

    Nutella? After sugar, the second most common ingredient in Nutella is palm oil. Palm oil is high in palmitic acid, a fatty acid which has been strongly linked to increased risk of cardiovascular disease. The stuff, from a truly health oriented perspective, is crap. You can replace it with a Hershey's bar and you would be making a sideways move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez. Okay. I will have a hershey bar with my banana in the morning. Sounds better anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best post in a while GZ, lots of good stuff in there. That Lucho charachter is quite inspiring, I mean, shit, I've met him once and have been in the gym on the leg sled more than I have since I was forced to in college athletics... Sounds like you're simply following the rules of joghard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could write pages on the definition of "health" for an athlete and our ability to fool ourselves in to believing that diet doesn't matter, or that certain foods won't affect our performance. This country is 2/3 obese... need I say more in regards to our views on what is acceptable as "food"? The proof is in the pudding... ha.
    Do you not believe that TSA is protecting us? I believe that terrorists have moved on from air travel. The next big attack will come in either our food/water supply or over our computers.

    Patrick- Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GZ, any thoughts on the RnR race format? Did the bands inspire you, move you? Was the race that much better than a regular half marathon? Maybe not to you, but could you see how it would attract such a bigger field than a regular half?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When they first started here, I wondered if the fires in Boulder were a terrorist attack.

    Justin - good question.

    I don't get much out of the bands at a race. This race did have lots of crowds out to cheer throughout the course, so that was nice. Some of that is pre-staged in via the exchange zones for the relay race.

    The finish was pretty cool, as there were a lot of people pretty deep as you finished up.

    It is definitely not a fast course, even if you took the altitude out of it (lots of turns), and the marathon is pretty dreary near the end.

    Clearly the race is benefiting from being in a large market and the marketing of the RnR machine. For most folks it is not about the course, or a fast time. Any idea how much their numbers bumped over last year?

    Oh yeah, I should have also put 21.) Ritz would have had his hands full with Mario.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't checked, but heard that the #s doubled over last year.

    Ditto on the course, heard many complain about the 3 180s in the marathon. Not sure what their options would be other than to close down more roads. From a spectator's view, I thought the live video streaming at the finish was very cool.

    Kenyan Simon Cheprot is the only one to have beaten Mario in Colorado this year (at GoG 10 miler).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucho - have you read any Pollan?

    ReplyDelete
  9. GZ, great post! I especially agree with point #11. The basis for me reading blogs geared toward running is mostly for additional motivation and inspiration. I find that definitely holds true with your blog. You are consistent with your posts and I look forward to checking occasionally during the day to get an update. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Footfeathers - not sure I agree with you on this. While Pollan explores some concepts that are far reaching, even he will say (and I have heard him say this) that his goals are for folks to THINK about what they are eating. I found Lucho's quip on health in food there to be of the same vein.

    Shane - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arlington Va? Head West to Old Rag if you have an extra 5 hours, by far the best run around.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah ... I am not going to get that sort of escape window. Thanks tho.

    ReplyDelete
  13. agree with you on #2.

    disagree with you on #3. In order to race smart, you have to start out the race thinking about your pace, hydration, running the tangents, avoiding potholes, etc. Run like a scientist. Then in the final part of the race, you largely turn off your brain and run from your heart.

    regarding #5: I find race calculators to be maddening. They all say I can run a sub-2:55 marathon at altitude. This is laughably unrealistic.

    disagree with you on #6: I believe there is a trade-off between quality and quantity. For example, if you are putting in lots of miles on your "easy" days, the quality of your hard workouts is likely to suffer.

    on #12: your writings here are appreciated more than you know.

    on #14: you'll be within a few miles of the C&O Canal towpath: http://www.yelp.com/biz/c-and-o-canal-washington

    On #16: agree completely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jesse - I think we agree more on 3 than I may have implied in the comment above. I got to a point in the race yesterday where I was wondering when the wheels would come off. The point that JW was trying to make is that - at some point drop the self doubt and go.

    Race calculators are funny tools. Woulda coulda shoulda. I actually align with the calculators a helluva lot more than I did 15 years ago. The difference then though was that I could zip the faster stuff and not hold the longer stuff. Now I am slower at the shorter stuff, but I can keep up with the predictions at the longer from that slower.

    Re: quality and quantity - agree with what you are saying and so I probably did not state it well before. I have erred on quantity and need to back off that a bit, but while trying to find a right mix that works for me.

    Thanks for the tip on Arlington and the kind words re: the blog.

    Funny thing about the stuff above ... a lot of it is a paradox. Scientist racing versus from the heart. Quantity versus quality. Enjoying the training versus doing what is right (and that is the nutrition thing too). Racing for self versus not racing at all.

    Probably my bias but I see the balance thing a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post and an impressive race. Been following your progress and mindset via the blog; looks like you surpassed your expectations or at least the head space you were in.

    Now you can add to your list: inspired/ motivated a kid from north of the 49.

    Good stuff

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Palm Oil scared us off the Nutella, but man - that stuff is like crack. It was hard to wean off the morning rocket fuel!! There are some natural alternatives - when I have tried a few, I'll let you know if any are good! I would argue that the hazlenuts are not crap - just the remaining ingredients ;-)

    And BTW, masters is what it is - you rolled that HM pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not sure what you're eating with the Nutella and how many calories (or carbs) you're getting from that, but atleast introduce an apple to your diet every morning for a few weeks, and I think you'll like what you feel. Slicing them up seems to make them taste better in the morning, just don't dip it into the Nutella!
    Aplles have gotten alot of good press for providing energy. I've seen this myself using sliced apples on my kids in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not addicted to the Nutella, but I certainly had not done the research on its detriments either. Then again, I like a steak every once in a while, or even bacon.

    Thanks Happy Trails - glad to hear your better half is rebounding.

    Thanks Mountain Way. You have snow up there yet?

    Apples, eh Rick? You like them apples? (sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  19. And I was just getting on board the Nutella train... Bursting bubbles!

    GZ- no snow yet! Actually, a warm and surprisingly dry fall so far. But it's a comming. Shirtless running season ended about a month ago though

    ReplyDelete
  20. GZ - If you like tropical rainforests and the stable climate they help maintain, avoid palm oil. The clearing of forest for palm plantation is rapacious.

    Where in Arlington, VA will you be?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Solid post. So much to comment on. #17 - I've never read "Born To Run" either and no intent on doing so anytime soon. Yet I'm extremely excited about purchasing the NBs MT101s.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Arlington running: Potomac Overlook Park (near Stafford Street) has wooded trails, Great Falls National Park has rocky trails with views of the Potomac, many bike path routes on W&OD trail, Custis trail, and Mount Vernon trail. Other off-road options are the C&O Canal Towpath in MD/DC, Potomac Heritage trail, National Mall from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial. Also Bryon Powell (of irunfar.com fame) used to live there and could give you his trade secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post GZ - and congrats on a solid HM Sunday! Curious about people's beef with Born to Run, the learning direction that book turned me on to dramatically changed my life for the better. But my 'running' situation mirrored the author's in many ways so the information was probably more applicable/helpful to me than to many.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sure that it is a good book.

    But ...

    ... after I heard for the tenth time that I had to read it, and nearly each of those times I heard how I had to get rid of my running shoes - I felt like I was being TOLD I needed to read the book of Exodus or something.

    The book for some however has become this flag that all shoe running is bad. Whatever. I occasionally run barefoot, but given the scar tissue I have on my feet (lawn mower accident, and hence the hang nine title), I require something on my feet more times than not.

    I understand that there is a lot of good stuff in there from Chris M. And not all of it is bashing running shoes.

    I get that a change in shoes, or to no shoes works wonders for some people and I am very stoked about that for them. After all, I want to see them run.

    I will come around to reading the book, but I have decidedly taken an immature approach to not read it for now.

    I am very glad it helped you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Trail Clown - thanks! (great handle by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is kind of funny to me how extreme of a view people can tend to come away with after reading that book (one way or the other). I currently have to laugh at my own extreme view from last winter which has since become more moderate with time and experience.

    ReplyDelete