Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday 022211

With TZ busy this weekend, we did not make the show for one my favorite musical artists at one of my favorite venues ... but here is one of those shows.

Dogfish 90 is so good it borders on illegal in my book.

Leadville is apparently full.

I am tired of drugs in the sport, ridiculous clearings and testing stories, but this one about amateurs using PED's was interesting (but still sad). Apparently Chrissie W is now going to keep a blog of when she is tested.

The Incline is getting a little closer to legal.

I am purposely not posting links back to all the debates on a championship for ultras, or how the local guys train.

Today was a day where I looked at my calendar and internally groaned. It was a day full of meetings, and one where I knew a mid day run was unlikely. Nonetheless, I threw my gear in the car, hopeful that something would cancel or postpone so that I was ready if the opportunity presented itself.

The last meetings of the day got absorbed earlier into the afternoon and I thankfully got my window. I bolted home, getting there at 4, knowing I had to be done with a run by 5 to be ready for JZ's parent teacher conference (which are joyful events by the way). I asked if he wanted to go for a run, and he was in. We started with a jog, which included playful ups and downs in through the local canal ditch. He bounds in and out of this like a wild animal ... and I look like ... like a 41 year old man that does not do that much.

But then we got to the business at hand: sprints. We negotiate a head start for him, the distance and then off we go. It is all out for me to catch him and he is going not to be caught. I can't say he is going all out because he is laughing the whole time. He beat me on all the sprints except one today so I am going to have to give him less of a head start next time.

But this experience reminded me of some things I did as a kid. I recall when I was a summer camp counselor, I knew I was not doing any of the work that other guys were doing for HS training. They were all subscribed to the 750 club plan (750 miles from June 1 to August 31). With my job, I knew I could not swing that. And frankly, at that time, 8 miles a day seemed crazy huge. So, I would run as hard as I could when the opportunities would present itself during the day. Period 2 Archery would end I needed to get to the pond for Life Guard duty. I would sprint the half mile to the pond. After that, I would sprint the quarter mile to the dining hall for lunch. It hurt. But it would feel so strong.

Same thing today. With these sprints, I started off feeling like a bunch of gunk. But I could feel it peeling away, laughing with JZ and getting a itsy bitsy bit quicker. And in fact, for a half of a moment, I could almost taste a little bit of the fast on the last one. But he beat me anyway. A race to the fence. Laughing. Little punk that he is. Good stuff.

Once we finished that up, I headed out for another miles, and jazzed from my experience with my son, the weather, and the unforeseen opportunity to run, I just happily rolled. The miles clicked off collectively as fast as the repeats did yesterday (so I guess it was that windy yesterday) for five miles with a whole less PE.

Six miles on the day. My OC tendencies had me thinking I ought to do another set in the evening but I decided to skip that.

I have a 50 miler in 11 weeks. I guess if I am going to take that seriously, I ought to do something about that but I don't have a lot of itch for at the moment. Maybe I should register.

29 comments:

  1. You should show up to CP out of shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highly likely. Where you crashing the night before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. GZ hasn't been out of shape since he was 6 months old. Register.

    Thank you for not linking to the worn-to-a-fray discussion of ultra championships. They already have the damn thing, the world 100k championships. If you can't qualify for that, then I guess you're not good enough to be in a championship. Drop the damn boring conversation and just run races (not you, GZ, all the other elitists).

    Can I borrow your boy for some speed work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much does your son charge? I need someone to laugh at me to make me go faster too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to running CP with you. Time to get registered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have bought the last 4-pack of 90 Minute in the Front Range, because I couldn't find any.

    Good about the Incline. Never done it because of the status.

    I'm sure your son could beat me in a race. That's called "being Cub Scouted".

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Footfeathers - I ain't in 50 mile shape - that is for sure.

    @Footfeathers and Brett - I think his mamma would have a word or two with me if I started pimping him out for sprint workouts.

    @woody - yeah! Agreed.

    @mtnrunner2 (287 Liquors still has a few).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I said I would wait until Pikes registration and let fate decide Leadville for me... and it did. But not how I expected it to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tim - it was a serious pain in the ass for me to get all those different names, credit cards, fill out all those registrations for Leadville to force it to fill to assure you would run Pikes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are raising a runner who will compete and run simply for the love of it. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. >Tim... races Pikes

    Hmmm. Race Luke, Obi-Wan will.

    (referring to the coach-athlete relationship here)

    ReplyDelete
  12. G- "If he wants"... tough not to push eh? Ben loves running up hills, goes out of his way to find them. Makes my subconscious start to plan. If he wants... then I'll provide every opportunity.
    Pikes it is then. If I can get in. The Leadville bike lottery is the end of this week so that will determine my focus on Pikes. The 100 bike the week before the Ascent... I WILL set the record for that obscure double :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm surprized they capped Leadville. I had visions of 1,500 people cramming the the street, pouring out onto each side of Main st. I'm buzzing with excitement to race that sucker more than just about anything this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucho - I have learned (well, as well I can learn, which is slow and takes a lot of repetition) that I can only push my kids towards anything so much.

    I can point to things with them and say, "want to check that out?" and they probably will really dig it. As soon as I start to push, or least where they start to feel pushed, they push back, and usually a lot harder.

    Interestingly, if I pay someone else to push instead of me, that is okay.

    As they get older, I think it is more about leading them, and less about managing them. When I can "see" that, I am totally fine with not pushing.

    If JZ becomes a runner, I am not sure what I will do with that. I remember seeing him finish the 5k last year at his school and he was in that familiar hurt locker for the last half mile. And he pushed. I was not sure who was closer to barfing at the end - him or me. Him because he was swimming in oxygen debt, me because I was scared-concerned-freaked-overjoyed.

    It will be a fun ride.

    I am very stoked about the possibilities of Pikes with you. Assuming the Ascent, right?

    Footfeathers ... is there an entrants list you have checked out yet?

    Mtnrunner - I am just bummed TW ain't a master.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey George. No start list, unfortunately. I love pouring over entrants' lists!

    ReplyDelete
  16. G- Ya, I'm bummed too. I'll be less than a week from being a Master for the Ascent. No marathon for me. If I get in to the Leadville 100 bike then I envision running 13 miles downhill the week after a 8+ hour hard bike to be pure hell. My legs will be trashed for the Ascent as it is. There are a lot of IFs. Hell, I might not get in to Pikes OR the Leadville bike.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tim - the marathon down is pure hell. Love it but I can't recommend it to anyone I like. The guy in the mirror I see daily, he deserves it ... probably twice.

    You should have no issue getting into the Ascent. The Wave 1 takes WEEKS to fill. Wave 2, the slower wave fills in about half an hour.

    What you need - from: http://pikespeakmarathon.org/entry.htm is this:

    Peak Newbie or those who have not run the Peak in the last 3 years:
    - Have run a half-marathon in under 1:40:00 or
    - Have run a marathon in under 3:45:00.

    do you have either of those in the last three years? I forget when your 2:30 Denver was ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find the first 2-3 miles of the down to be quite enjoyable. Feels good not to be running up and actually running fast. Oh, but those final 10 miles are awful(ly rewarding)...you pick.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Completely agree. Those first three to tree line are nice. You are going down. You are passing folks coming up. You are getting more air. It gets a little warmer.

    You get to treeline and you realize, "hmmm ... this is a long run." You are then in the woods. In the shadows. Watch out for the roots and the rocks on those already tired legs. Less people. You are often alone. It is getting warmer.

    By the time you get to Barr Camp ... much like a regular marathon (as that is at 20 miles in) ... you have worn down enamel on your teeth. Your cartillige hurts. It is HOT (except in 2008). Your legs have taken in about 3500 feet of down and you still have a bunch left. The volunteers are tired. You are a raw nerve.

    I love it.

    That last mile on the road though ... holy crap is it long.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There isn't a more accurate & concise description of the descent out there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Once I got to Barr Camp, here is what I swear some of the last six mile markers said as I passed them by:
    6 Miles To Go
    5 Miles To Go
    6 Miles To Go
    7 Miles To Go
    6 miles To Go

    It is a beautifully challenging race. I liken the decent to driving in bumper to bumper slam on the breaks stop and go rush hour traffic in a foggy driving rain. Its very stressful and you have to focus immensely every single second.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dogfish 90 is probably one of two favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just checked. In 2008 I ran 2:41 in Kansas City. Andrew Henshaw ran 2:59 the same day :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dogfish is awesome. Expensive but awesome. Curious as to what the other favorite is ... I'd put mine own stuff in the top three but that is not fair to the general public (yet). Maharaja is great but also expensive.

    I end up swillin through Mojo, Bridgeport IPA, when I want to run on the cheap for IPAs, but enjoy Odells as a mid range classic. Torpedo as well.

    Brett - my math has been seriously stupid many times coming down. Seriously, if I hit upper Ruxton ave on the way down and did not know it was only a mile to the finish I'd probably sit down and cry.

    Lucho - Henshaw as in the guy who finished just ahead of you at Leadville? The CP CR holder for 50? 2:59 eh?

    More seriously, I need to make it up to your hood soon. When does it get above 50 degrees up there?

    ReplyDelete
  25. There is a bit of a story to the how and why for my other fave, but short of it is that I love La Fin Du Monde (Unibroue). Yes, the cool label and percentage caught my attention when I first tried it in Quebec, but now I love the unique flavor, or better yet since it's Canadian: flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay Jason - way out of my league.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Unibroue's great, and Fin du Monde in particular.

    * Standard IPA: Deschutes Inversion.
    * Imperial IPA: Ska Decadent.
    * Yet another Imperial: Steamworks Conductor (brewery only, consider it a San Juan Solstice or Hardrock recovery drink. They had an even more potent one-off over the holidays, but I forget the name)

    I really need to post a favorite beer list. And a favorite trail list.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Henshaw just ran 2:26 for the Miami Marathon. He ran 18:56 at 2009 Leadville.
    Above 50... maybe June? I would seriously love to show you some of the miles up here. Anytime.

    ReplyDelete