Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wednesday 021611

Justin has another FKT article up - Here's the Appalachian Trail article.

AM – I got walloped at work yesterday, and unfortunately was unable to get out to enjoy the good weather.  I considered getting some running in when I got home but was fried.  Instead, I took in the Westminster Dog Show with TZ. 

And it took me a bit to get out the door this AM … just some regular AM procrastination.  But it was great to be out once I got out.  11 miles.  1 mile warm up, 4 x 1 mile with 2 min rest, then 12 x 200 yards (.13 on the Garmin) with 2 minutes rest.  Good workout – great sunrise.

Mid Day – 5 miles super easy with DB at work. 

Nick mentions below the news of the day, the new BAA Boston Marathon qualifying standards.

This is in my old backyard.  Like, literally.  So I am thinking about it but the timing sucks.

6 comments:

  1. The weather has been amazing. 70 and sunny at lunch yesterday, with snow still on the ground.

    I was going to do a post on it, but that's kind of like publicizing the location of your favorite fishing hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out the new Boston Marathon qualifying standards and procedures: http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/blog/2011/02/baa_announces_new_procedures_f.html

    Big thumbs up from me. BAA listened and I think got it about as right as they possibly could have. Personally I would have tightened the open standards to 3:00 and graded down from there, but I think the rolling nature of the entry procedures will ensure a really competitive race from sub-2:10 runners through 3:50 runners. Makes me want to sign up for the 2012 race, even though I hadn't previously given it any thought whatsoever.

    Is this a model that ultra lotteries might look at, especially those wanting to bring a strong competitive field (not to beat a dead horse)?

    With the emphasis in most marathons being on the mid to back pack, I am really encouraged that BAA reminds us that running is a *sport*, not just a pastime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, good ideas.

    Its probably SW in the ultra world. Some Will, Some Won't.

    Some races like Hardrock are all about setting up a lottery to balance between veterans and new folks...not pure competition. (from what I can tell) So ultras like that one would probably never change to a format like the new BAA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap. May have to come out of retirement now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that I am happy to see Boston make these changes.

    Boston is a fun time, but I don't have an itch to get back to it.

    The ultras we are interested in probably won't change. I think there are two reasons that contribute to this collectively.

    Ultras still are generally are an event of completion (or a past time as you call it). At least that is how nearly all the race boards see it on whole. Many marathons obviously cater to this still And frankly, I get that to some extent. Marathons can cater to it because they don't deal with race caps as ultras do on USFS/BLM lands (so they can deal with a lot of racers, including the 6 hour marathoner). It is the combination of it being seen as an event of completion, the race entry caps, and the fact that folks will shell out ridiculous money for these events that makes it so that ultras are generally not pushed to change.

    I know you know all that ... just saying (and agreeing with you - I am also hopeful).

    ReplyDelete
  6. GZ: Good to see you running so well right and feeling good.

    New BAA standards: Great news for guys like us....but not good news for runners on the bubble. Call me old-fashioned, but I think those runners on the bubble should just work harder!

    Nick Clark--machine. Amazing job at NO. He and Scott Jaime are fast and have that rare ability to excel on both the road and trail. I love the fact that Nick is such a mountain goat and still adores the road. Wish there were more like him because I think the road is very unappreciated.

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete