Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tuesday 110811

Compression gear apparently does not help when you wear it in a race.

‘nother Lucho podcast.  Enjoyed it.

A report from the ditch on the heels of the new FKT there.

Treadmill in the AM:  5 miles at 5% grade, averaging 7 mph … just getting back to a little vertical work, and then five flat, easy (34 minutes but the treadmill lies lies lies).  Did this in the office gym.  No one was in there and I had some chaffing on my nips from the run on Sunday.  Flipped the shirt over the back of my neck, but was sort of paranoid someone was going to come in and get all scared at the bald hairy sweaty man.

Slight mo’ shadow starting show up.  Two more months and I ought to be in the game. 

IMG-20111108-01005

Obligatory nod to KJ vid.  You got to wonder who is the guy that is running with the damn camera to take all these shots.  There is one where it looks like it was taken 30 feet above their head.

Somebody at work asked me a couple of weeks ago about how to taper for an upcoming marathon.  They asked me via email.  I did not want to type a long answer on my crackberry, so I wrote up some responses on hotel pad paper and took some photos that I sent to them. 

There is a scene in this that reminds me of one of my first backpacking trips with a friend of mine in college.  This was no slack packing or go light event.  We were out there for a week with a boat load of everything on our back on the AT.  We reached this downhill scree slope on one of our last days and we just started running down it with these 40lb packs on our back and the big lug hiking boots.  Laughing at first, we ended up going arse over tea kettle and making the mountain side look like a yard sale.  It was blast.  I think we sat around and ate blueberries from the bushes in the area for the rest of the day.

I confess, I stared at this way too long last night.  But then again … it was only a 10 mile day today.

I got asked by a colleague at work (a few weeks ago) about some feedback on how to taper for an upcoming marathon they had.  I got a little information on their load, goals, etc.  But then I was away from my laptop, and decided rather than type all my thoughts on it via the crackberry, I’d scrawl it out on some hotel paper, and send photos over to them.  This is what I sent.

IMG-20111028-00964IMG-20111028-00966  IMG-20111028-00965  IMG-20111028-00967

5 comments:

  1. haha yes! i posted some results from conconi tests online like that back in the day. pics of the handwritten index cards. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty certain the "30 feet in the air" shot you're referring to in the KJ vid is just that the cameraman is up on that big cross that we see KJ standing on on the summit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good catch Anton. If I ever get canned, I might put in to be your cameraman.

    FatDad - it took me a bit to remember how to use the pen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thrown on the compression sleeves every once in a while this summer after some harder workouts. I would agree, performance, especially on the flat shorter stuff is negligable. BUT, as the article goes on to say:
    " the compression sleeves did increase calf muscle tissue oxygenation before and after the performance test (hence presumably during the test, as well, although it was not possible to take this measurement during the test)."

    On calf and below the calf thrashing runs, aka climbing miles, especially long climbing runs, I believe it can improve the muscles performace and prevent injury. Not to mention the benefits of keeping those muscles warmer. Or maybe the sleeves just make me think I'm not going to strain those precious muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Increasingly I am of the mindset it is about how you set the head up to think about it. I have worn my racing "kit" for some workouts just to help that workout. Does it make a real difference? Probably not. But it feels different.

    ReplyDelete