Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday 070912

Remember Hobie Call?  Took second in the Ascent a few years ago.  I am not sure if I should be embarrassed for the guy, amused by this, with this or give him props for being nutty in an innovative sort of way.  I guess I will just shrug and say, “whatever floats your boat dude.”

Getting pretty stoked about HR.  Assuming we survive, it ought to be a good party afterwards (or maybe we will just limp home?).  Good post by Peter B on HR.

This site is reporting a new FKT on the Decalibron.

Holy crap, I am apparently not taking enough supplements (as I really don’t take any).

Tony went sub 30 on the front of Green.  Pretty stout time … whether it is an FKT or not, well, I will leave that to you to decide. 

Apparently I need to get on the Strava thing as that is what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Pretty amazing … Max King was WMRC last year, as was Kasie Enman.  And neither are on the team going this year.

The DII XC champ … not a good story.

Thanks to Justin and JT for some pointers today.

10 comments:

  1. Strava looks fun but I hope we don't get to the point where we have "Stravassholes" on the trails!

    http://303cycling.com/are-you-a-stravasshole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to check out the Miner's Tavern as well, it doubles as the Silverton American Legion.

    And if you need to get a hold of $100, she will more than likely be at the Montanya Rum Distillery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the opposite perspective: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26488

    Hope you guys have a nice post-race party...just think of me crammed into some seat next to a fat guy on the plane for 16 hours. I think lufthansa at least has free booze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great link from NMP, who first has to be crammed into a seat next to a smelly guy who tells bad jokes for 8 hours before even thinking about the plane trip....

    Top priority is spending money on good quality food and learning to prepare it -- everyone wins if more people did that.
    Next priority is spending extra money on good beer and coffee.
    That doesn't /have/ to be mutually exclusive with supplements as well, and some people like to geek out about that stuff. (And, I love the science of it, but it's so much association and not so much causality for much of it -- or, at least, the holistic view of the tradeoffs often aren't fully studied). But considering the vast history of very successful runners that didn't 'need' supplements, the tradeoff of spending too much time and money worrying about it makes running less appealing (to me) if I feel the need to take stuff from a lab just to put one foot in front of another. (With the exception, of course, of known, personal deficiencies that limit everyday optimal health). Keep it simple, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. King/Enman - Also, the 2012 U.S. Mountain Running Champ (Dobson) is not part of the U.S. team. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked Strava better when it was called DoWeNeedAnotherGPSEnabledWorktoutSite.com.

    I wrote this comment wearing a 40-pound vest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff M wins best comment of the day award.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stravassholes. That is awesome. (Peter - if you work in Interlocken, we ought to get out for a run sometime).

    JT - drop me a note and let me know when you are getting down to Silverton. I don't want to lose you in the big city.

    Nick - yeah, good read and by Magill - which is not surprising (he is also the guy ripping Call in the comments of that article). See you tomorrow.

    Mike - see you in Silverton. I will be eating donuts and white bread.

    Justin - I am not sure if this marks parity in the sport, or more folks coming to make the team (Canady for example, or even Fairchild) or something else altogether.

    Mtnrunner2 - look, I have a dream about comments, and when I am done with obstacle course blogging, then I know I can address that comment.

    Tim - eat a gel. Go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yet another race topic: did you catch what all happened at Mt. Marathon in Alaska last week?

    (Combined links)
    http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4671493

    Someone's missing, and two severe injuries (the pic of the guy looks pretty bad in one link, and the other link actually shows the woman in the process of falling).

    ReplyDelete