08/14/2012 update - according to Sage Canaday's twitter, he ran the front side in 28:43.
07/08/2012 update: well, Tony put up a crazy fast time on the front route. New official FKT.
04/20/2012 update, after some conversation and consideration on this post - I am moving two times to a different part of the list. These are fast times by strong runners, who have resumes that speak for themselves. However, their times on this course were in some regard not appropriately timed in some fashion. Because of this, it is not appropriate to consider their times in direct comparison to the overall list. That said, I don't want to lose the record of what they did - regardless of how they did it. Clearly, Rickey ran faster than Dave on that day in May 2009, and later ran a sub 60 at Mount Washington. We just don't know how fast he really ran - but he beat the rest up the hill on that day in August 2010. It is my hope that we get a day where we can line Rickey, Tony, Jason, Tim, Johnny T, Jeff V and Dave M up against each other for a true showdown on the hill.
Update - starting this list on 01/19/11. Good broader reference is Peter Bawkin's FKT site. I will update this as I get info, updates ... when I write this, I am throwing in names of folks who I know are on the list - even if I don't know their time. There is no "cut off standard" for the list so just comment or drop me a note and I will update the post. Where possible, I will also link to a trip report / time post.
This route starts at the Gregory Lot - not the bridge! Follows the Amphitheater trail to Saddle Rock - and then Greenman to the top of Green. KML file for Google Earth
Sage Canaday - (11.19.2012) 28:0928:43
Anton Krupicka - 28:54, 7-8-2012previously, 30:44 November 4, 2010
Sage Canaday - (11.19.2012) 28:09
Anton Krupicka - 28:54, 7-8-2012previously, 30:44 November 4, 2010
Jason Schlarb 30;18 (April 19, 2012 - see comments)
previously 30:49 (April 28, 2011 - see comments)
previously 30:49 (April 28, 2011 - see comments)
Dave Mackey - 31:28 May 28, 2009
Jeff Valliere - 32:24
George Zack - 34:48, July 27, 2007 - a bit old so 35:20 from August 12, 2010 may be more appropriate
Mike Hinterberg 35:00, September 29, 2011
George Zack - 34:48, July 27, 2007 - a bit old so 35:20 from August 12, 2010 may be more appropriate
Mike Hinterberg 35:00, September 29, 2011
Eric Lee - 36:58 from comments on July 28,2011
Levi 04-07-11 - from comments from Jason Schlarb: 37:10
John "Homie" Prater - 37:06 from comments on 041812
previously 37:34 from comments on 0409.
previously 38:38. June 18, 2010
Tim Long - 38:07, May 28, 2009
previously 37:34 from comments on 0409.
previously 38:38. June 18, 2010
Tim Long - 38:07, May 28, 2009
Shad Mika 39:25 (Comments 04262011)
Cole Peterson 40:03 (comments 051112)
Cole Peterson 40:03 (comments 051112)
Jacob Rydman 40:30 January 2011
Other times (see comment from 4-20-2012 above)
Rickey Gates - ... **bit of question this given some outstanding watch issue, but May 28, 2009 - 28:48
Tim Waggoner - 30:50 August 12, 2010 ** Tim's post on this - "I can't count it though as I did stop for a bio break and stopped my watch"
Other times (see comment from 4-20-2012 above)
Rickey Gates - ... **bit of question this given some outstanding watch issue, but May 28, 2009 - 28:48
Tim Waggoner - 30:50 August 12, 2010 ** Tim's post on this - "I can't count it though as I did stop for a bio break and stopped my watch"
I think you accidentally put me above Dave Mackey, thank you though!
ReplyDeleteCorrected!
ReplyDelete38:22
ReplyDelete2010-06-29
http://brandon.fuller.name/archives/2010/06/29/10.58.41/
Got it. Thanks Brandon.
ReplyDeleteMy best is 38:38. June 18, 2010
ReplyDeleteGot it. Thanks Homie.
ReplyDeleteThe amazing thing about these mountain goats is that even when I'm relatively fit, 2:50 marathon in Eugene, on these steep trails I can't even keep these dudes in my sights! That's why I'm on Green every day so far this year.
ReplyDeleteThe first time I met Dave Mackey was at a Boulder Trail Runners Thursday evening run up Green Mtn. I was pulling up the rear and he'd waited for me at the top. We bombed downed the back side together and I felt great to be keeping up with him. Later that night I was told that he'd won the JFK 50 that Sunday.
Different league, these boys!
J.P. - yah! It is a different game!
ReplyDelete(what's yer best?)
Here's the link to my 30:44 best on this route. Was building the fitness for the TNF50 at the time: November 4, 2010
ReplyDeleteGot it. Thanks Tony.
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous. It's pretty cool that you have numerous people running up the same peak any given day.
ReplyDeleteWhile I am sick with a cold, Levi told me he recorded a 37:10 on his debute up the front-side Thursday.
ReplyDeleteAdding KML for front side ...http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15822124/Green%20Mountain%20Front%20Route.kml
ReplyDeletefor kicks, my 40:30 split with schlarb the day after the pp 50k. http://jacobrydman.blogspot.com/2011/01/recap-of-january-10th-16th.html
ReplyDeletehope to get back to CO soon, 2012 PPM?
Posted it but - I am guessing there was pretty deep snow - and the day after 31 miles!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to crossing paths and sharing strides with you!
ya, there was a good chunk of snow/ice on green that day which taunted my dead legs. would be great to get in some quality running with you one day GZ.
ReplyDeleteDid a 39:25 this afternoon after doing a 8 mile marathon pace run. Hmmm wonder if I could hit 35 by the end of summer and with some fresh legs.
ReplyDeleteGot it - thanks. And yup - I bet you could.
ReplyDeleteHey GZ,
ReplyDeleteThe body has been a bit compromised due to sleep, stress and the Cheyenne 50K Saturday is still taking a bit of a toll on the legs. I wasn't sure I would time the run as I warmed up, but further realizing the opportunity I decided I would let emotions/sentiment and the heart lead this one!
This was my second time up the frontside (32:07 back in Jan was my first) and I totally wasted too much energy on the first mile running 16:48. I believe 30-40 seconds slower on this mile would have equated to 60-90 seconds faster on the second mile. I was thoroughly hurting once I reached the top in 30:49. I dry heaved up my fruit leather and some foam and stood hunched over for a few minutes. I'm very happy (could have cared less about the split while I was at the top!) to get under 31, but hungry to run the route smarter.
I REALLY enjoyed the run down more than ever today. I just love running in the mountains and I will miss it like crazy for the next 6 or so months while in Iraq. Probably my last TT until December.
Wow! That is great Jason - awesome time. I got it in the list.
ReplyDeleteI wish you the best, let me know if you need anything to help.
That is an incredible effort Jason! I loved the foam and fruit leather description. But it gives me a glimpse into why I can't run remotely that fast. Not sure I have the guts to push myself that hard even if I were that fit.
ReplyDeleteAlso GZ, Jason's time is invisible at the moment...just fyi.
corrected
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNew personal best today, 36:58 from the Gregory canyon parking area to the summit block. Good trail conditions.
ReplyDeleteEric Lee
Got it Eric - thanks.
ReplyDeleteNew PR for me of 37:34 on 4/8/2012. And why do you not have a time up for this route?
ReplyDeletemostly because my times previously were from the Chautauqua lot versus starting here. I will correct this shortly.
ReplyDeleteNew PR of 37:06 this morning thanks to my rabbit JV.
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Captured that.
ReplyDelete9 days short of a year ago was my last "Frontside" ascent (30:49), so I felt I was way overdue for a go. After feeling really tired and flat the last few days, I woke up ready to go this morning. After a good warm up and a little mobility work in the Gregory parking lot, I was off. Legs felt pretty good from the start and the first half mile went relatively well. The second half mile I was feeling the burn and didn't have that next gear to productively "run" what I consider the hardest half mile of the route. I power hiked a number of steeper sections before the Greenman turn-off and end of the first mile. My mile split (very close to the turn-off) was 17:18, which was 30 seconds slower than last time's first mile. I was still optomistic as I knew that I felt I spent too much energy on the first mile last time around (I didn't do much power hiking at all). The next flatter half mile was great and I was able to open it up and quickly make up time. I ran pretty much the last half mile to the top and clocked a 30:18 to the post. Coughing, eyes watering and totally spent I was happy with my TT ascent PR. A few seconds later I was analyzing how I could run sub 30 minutes, sick how that works.
ReplyDeleteWow! Zippy.
ReplyDeleteSo this raises a couple of questions. There is always going to be a bit of question on the Rickey time. I trust Rickey but the fact that he was not wearing a watch and had to do this math between some guy at the top and Dave following will always bring his time into question.
Second - you say you stop at the post. Is that saying you stop at the post a little north of the rock outcrop? I think there is variation between folks on the actual finish ... the post or the rock cairn or the true summit.
In any case - congrats. Very fast time sir.
Nice running, Schlarb! I can't believe you take mile splits instead of trail junction splits. Stupid Garmins :-)
ReplyDeleteYou can definitely get under 30min with more trail familiarity/better pacing. When I went 30:44 I was only 18:11 at the Greenman trail junction, so ran form there to the top (the summit post) in 12:33, which looks to be almost 30sec faster than you did. I really think that the techy trail on Greenman takes a ton of energy to run efficiently so it is almost always worth going out a touch slower on the bottom half of the mountain than what it feels like you should.
As for Rickey's time, I think he was absolutely in shape to run that kind of time that year (a couple months later he cranked a 59:58 at Mt. Wash, only the 5th person to ever break 1hr, joining legends like MC and Jono Wyatt), but as to whether he actually ran 28:48 that day, there is no way to really know.
But, Rickey has also run 14:26 on Sanitas, which is silly fast. I haven't run Sanitas nearly enough to come up with a reasonable equivalence/conversion between it and Green, but something like (Sanitas Time) x 2 makes some empirical sense to me.
Yeah - I completely trust Rickey's time, and I think it was validated by the run at Mount Washington later that summer ... and I realize this is all on a system of self reporting anyway, but I recognize his timing that day is a bit questionable. In the bigger scheme it does not matter.
ReplyDeleteInteresting note on the relationship between Sanitas and Green (2x). I will need to explore that a bit more.
I was thinking about Rickey's time today too. Had I not known a little bit of what Rickey is like (seems to be very humble the few tiems I've met him) and talked to Dave Mackey about the time, I would be more inclined to consider the time "unoficial", but combining the above with the fact that Rickey was in awesome shape and the biggest factor being that he is a sub-ultra/shorter distance climbing specialist, his time really makes sense.
ReplyDeleteI agree Tony, a couple more times to get familiar with running the route fast would create a good 30 second shave on the time. Fun.
Let's go do Sanitas Tony. I've never run a hard effort up before.
ReplyDeleteNice running fellas..
ReplyDeleteRE Rickey: No doubt on his ability to run 28 or 29 minutes (or less for that matter) I finished right after him that day and he wasnt wearing a watch and very roughly estimated 3 minutes, so the time of 28 minutes 48 seconds is clearly not precise or accurate. But he could have been there 2 or 4 minutes waiting for me, for all we know.. but speculating on FKTs and counting them is dangerous (well, not dangerous but we are tweakers here and this is important stuff is it not?)
In the interests of the FKT guidelines per the Honorable Dr.Bakwin, we will never know what time he ran, so I suggest we strike his time from the record list, strap a watch to his hairy arm and make him repeat it.. if only to have a good time and have an awesome group run together.
Bet he runs 27:xx..
Dave - others: After some consideration of this conversation, I have altered the listing above and added a comment regarding that to the front of the post. I think it is fair to consider their times in some regard, but also agree it is not completely appropriate to "stack" their times next to ones with better "known" times.
ReplyDeleteI ran a 40:03 this morning, it was my first time running this route and I really enjoyed it. I think I saw Jason on the way down Gregory too? (We might've bumped into each other last week as well.)
ReplyDeleteCongrats! (ps - who are you?)
ReplyDeleteWell, my name is Cole Petersen lol. I don't even live in the area; I live downtown and take RTD to the trails lol. Is there any way I can get in contact with other people to run Green, etc? It would be cool to have people to train with.
ReplyDeleteBest bet is to hook up with the Boulder Trail Runner list serve off of Yahoo Groups. That will connect you with 1000 or so folks who hit the trails at different times, paces, etc.
ReplyDeleteTony put up a pretty zippy time today and I updated this piece.
ReplyDeleteSage Canaday is reporting he ran a 28:43 on his Twitter acct.
ReplyDelete