Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday 081210

AM - got over to Chautauqua for a bit of a warm up with Brandon, JV. Easy jogging and chatting it up on a beautiful morning.


Before the final switch backs heading to the four way junction, I headed back down to meet up with Lucho and Footfeathers. Unplanned, Michael, a guy out here for his third day (from USATF) joined us. We warmed up around the Mesa and then made way over to Gregory. As we got over there, JV and Brandon popped back down.

I was interested in seeing what I could do up the "classic" route of Green (Amp, Saddle, Greenman). From what I can find on this blog, my best appears to be 34:48 (as part of a run up from Chautuaqua in 39:13. Earlier this year, I ran 38:36, but it was snowy on the upper ends. I have become convinced this run means little in terms of performance elsewhere, as it is silly steep and relatively short. Still, for fun, I wanted to get a readout as to how I progressed since then. I realized I was probably compromising the effort with a 7 mile warm up, but I justified that with the thought that I am going to need to run hard after 10 miles and 5000 feet of climbing next week.

Realizing that I would not really be running with Lucho, I got going ahead of him, expecting him to bolt past in the opening minutes. I specifically tried to be a touch conservative in the opening climb. It has some of the biggest step ups, and driving these can really zap me. I looked for small steps - maybe too much so because I think I'd often go around the big step up (1 step) with maybe a longer path of four little step ups.

I ran all of this except for the really big rock step ups that I could not avoid (that hard left at the drainage basin, the climb to the overlook, the rock climb just past that). Weather was about perfect, as some clouds cut a bit of the heat. Summited in 35:20. Not a PR, but pretty damn good considering everything.

Side note - I'd say "I'll take it" but that seems a stupid thing to say. I mean, if you don't like it do you say, "I reject that?"

image

Anyway, waited a bit for Lucho at the top (he ran a zippy 30:50), and then Footfeathers joined him. We headed down the Ranger Gregory path, yipping about Leadville, etc. Saw Tony heading up.

I have been pretty careful on downs as of late because I keep rolling this right ankle, and I am pretty much a klutz. Yeah - I fall a lot. On many portions of Gregory, the rocks are a bit sketchy so I am a bit more careful. When I am on my own, I am reminding myself to be careful.

So the setup for a classic wipe out was set. I just had a good run up. We were nearly done with the run. I was gleefully enjoying the banter with the boys. We were not railing it, but moving at a decent pace to keep things along. The trail had leveled out a bit. Here we go.

Rolled the ankle. Tried to catch myself, but then caught my left foot on a rock. Hit the ground with my arms and my left hip pretty good. Probably left a six inches square of skin out there and brought home a good amount of rock dust.

At the office now, the right forearm is oozing through the gauze. Typical expected cuts on the knees and the heel of the palms of my hands. That is a bit less concerning to me than the left toe that is pissed from getting clipped, and the stiff left hip that took a bang. Ah well. No biggie. It will all be better in a couple of days. As Footfeathers said - "hey, forced taper man!" Right on.

12 miles on the day.



Not going, but there is the Pearl Street Mile tonight in Boulder.

9 comments:

  1. yes, indeed, you got pretty effed up in that fall. I was about 18" behind you and it was violent. REALLY glad you didn't break anything. Sore for a couple days then battle scars for the race.

    RIP IT UP at Pikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Forced taper indeed. Hope you heal up quickly, as it sounds like you're in a good place for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a restart and then a bio break for maybe 45" but you were definitely the carrot.

    Your hands and hip were torn up pretty badly. They'll heal quickly though. What was it last year before Pikes? A bike accident?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really not that bad. Looked worse than I think it actually was. Yeah - bike accident on the day before the marathon.

    GZ = Klutz.

    Seriously, I sort of crack up when people tell me how athletic I am ... I have always been a klutz ... I just happen to run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neosporin quick.

    Sounds like you're light as a feather (via footfeathers).
    You have that going for you.

    Which is nice.

    Good luck healing the wounds (especially the hip) and getting ready to rumble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt - showered up at work, picked out some rocks, neosporined all the skin and applied some gauze. Still some good ooze.

    Again, less concerned about any of this. Skin - 1 week, no biggie. Hip will be fine. Toe might be broken but that will be okay in a week. All good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) If you break a toe, will this be renamed "Hang Eight"?
    2) I have a LOT of GZ klutz stories if you've forgotten them! Like burning your hands on the cookie sheet...or breaking the coffee table glass... or - should I go on?
    3) For a modest fee I can forget all of them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caroline - I earned those klutz stories ... I ain't hiding from them now. That coffee table crash through was pretty epic though. Not a scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost asked you earlier today if you'd been short on sleep, because very single time I've fallen it's been due to lack of sleep. It throws my balance totally off.

    Then after work, I'm running up Saddle Rock, and I get a "warning trip", catching my toe on a rock. I think "Hmmm, I'm feeling kind of groggy, and I've been getting to bed late, I'd better watch it". A couple of minutes later I stumble and do a dive onto the trail, get road rash on my right front calf, scraped palm, yadda yadda.

    At least I was going downhill!

    Heal fast.

    ReplyDelete