Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday 081810

Found this article on Running Times, with tips from Lisa G, Scott E., including Scott’s breathing approach (which I have found interesting).

Is the Leadville entry list right?  Still no sign of Hal or Tony on that list.

Reminder reading for the day.

Weather seems to be shaping up nicely for the weekend.  SummitManitouLeadville.

Plan for the Ascent day … I will head down to Manitou Friday night.  I am expecting to get down there pretty late though, so I won’t really be around to hook up with anybody.  Saturday morning I will mill around the start and then am hitching a ride to the summit post the start of wave 1.  I am going to try to get a signal on the EVDO card so I can post results of the ascent as they come in, and maybe some pix.  I intend to hang out a bit so I can yell at anybody who is walking.  And then I will take one of the vans down.  If you want to hook up at all over the weekend, drop me a note at georgezack at that gmail thingie.

PM – 5 miles, including a “moderate” effort over Sanitas.  Hot agaiin (97).

Adam Goucher

Wednesday night thoughts …

…how come Pikes means everything and nothing at the same time? 
… how come none of the bloggers I read from the east seem to post about the nothingness of the race, but instead put it in what seems (to me) to be in terms of black and white:  I succeeded or I screwed up?
… someone asked me if my son was going to be a runner.  Hell if I know.  Maybe.  If he wants to be.  If there is an interest there, I will certainly encourage it but I am not going to force it.  Still, I confess, my brain considers it.  In some regards, I seem to know that he can do everything I have ever done as a runner and a helluva lot more (read, much faster).  Then again, if he does pursue that, I figure I better do my best now to make that outdoing his father path as tough for him as I can.

13 comments:

  1. At this point it's unlikely the entrant list will be updated regardless of who signs up. Looking at Tonys running this week, he's either tapering or injured, so I'm guessing we'll see him at 4am Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading Rob's blog (he ran with us on the Fullmoon Skyline Traverse) and it appears that the Pb staff lost some racers doing a server switch over. Interesting!

    http://robscheeler.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://robscheeler.blogspot.com/2010/08/lt100-quit-ignoring-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Rob. That is ridiculous that they lost his entry and did not even get back to him about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worry that my sons will feel they need to be a runner (or in my case a triathlete) in order to please me... to live up to an unspoken standard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting take. I try to put the things to the kids now as to - "is this something you want to do? Because it is your time, not mine. I will support it, but it's how you are spending your life."

    If that means runner, fine. Artist, fine. Whatever - as long as it is not hurting anyone, and it is postive - I am pretty fine with it.

    It is a fine line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think that you can expect your child to look at what you love to do and not feel pressure to also try it and to make you feel pleased with them for doing so. After-all, that is exactly what WE do! IE: if my son wants to play baseball then I will go out every day and play catch and pitch to him and watch baseball... because it's what HE loves and I want to be part of it and I want him to see this. Why not expect the same from our children?
    This is a tough one because I feel that no matter what we do our kids will feel pressure. I can envision the day when my son(s) look at me and resent me for not living up to an expectation that I never set.
    Hell... I want my sons to be a $20,000,000 a year golfers... not a runner or triathlete!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, my dad was a fire fighter and I can say I never felt the urge to rush into a burning building. Well, maybe occasionally ... but not as a serious career. So I don't think I felt that pressure to do the thing he loved (and still loves).

    But I think I do feel a pressure to do something that they did. But really, more principles - like ethics, than some particular activity. In fact, I am not sure it is a pressure now as much as it is my fabric.

    I like to think that I probably put the same sort of pressure on my kids - values versus some specific activity (although some activities are very much demonstrative of a value system ...)

    Do you / did you feel the pressure to do what your parents did / loved ... or maybe do you feel pressure to do what your parents did not do / did not love?

    My parents did not run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... do you have about 10 hours and a 12 pack of Ranger? I can fill you in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my kid will be a kung fu black belt by the time he's 16. I was excelling at soccer, surfing, playing music and other stupid shit like smoking grass. My dad? He's still MIA.

    Pretty interesting discussion. Teach values, one of which is appreciating the great outdoors.

    It's hard being a "good" dad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And you will be using that EVDO card to watch Pb results too!

    Have a good race.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brandon - yes, I will. And Sunday AM before the PPM.

    Lucho - maybe that is the best strategy this weekend back from Winfield?

    Matt, Lucho ... this has to be a conversation in the desert at that running camp we talk about.

    ReplyDelete