Sooo ... my current nickel on the PPM field (thanks to the guys who gave me the early feedback on this) ... I am not the gambler some are, but I will also try (for the first time) Meltzer like odds. Inevitably, one or more of the predictions will be wrong. Someone will have a bad day and someone will have a better day. That's why we run the race and not just mail the results in. There is someone buried in the entry list that I have over looked.
1.) Carpenter (2-1). Yeah, beat at BTMR and so everyone is talking about how father time has caught up to him. It catches us all, but the guy is still the king of the mountain, is stronger than anyone above treeline, knows the course by the pebble and ran an exacting effort in his run up in the marathon last year to get the fastest ascent of the weekend.
2.) Parker (3-1). Daryn is also well proven on the course and went under 3:50 last year. That is pretty rare air.
3.) Parr (4-1). Here things get interesting and I expect some flack over this pick. I am picking Parr to win the Ascent. And to do that, I think he has to go sub 2:10. And I think that leaves him fairly waxed for the Marathon the next day. Fresh, he might outright contend for the win but after going 13 miles up and 7800 feet in the deepest PPA field ever (I'll say 15 go under 2:30), he makes the podium - but not the top spot.
4.) Boettcher (5-1). Bernie is having a phenomenal year, and showed it with a great run at BTMR (and other races since). He always executes very well here. Although there is some rumor he is doing a 10k in Taos the day before. And actually, for him, that could be a perfect sharpening workout. Expect him to go sub 4 for the first time. Yeah ... at the age of 47.
5.) Clark (9-1). Also where things get interesting. This and the next two are tough picks because they are pretty equally matched but with different strengths, and Nick and Justin are friends of mine. Justin has the foot speed (2:29 marathon), Clark can climb, and Burch is apparently a monster on the down hills. I give the nod to the climber here as that is where so much of this race is made or lost. A five minute lead on the climb is a huge gap to cover (although do-able) on the descent - particularly when you lose sight of people below treeline. Justin seems a touch less confident about his climbing, but is putting in the homework - so this could be a barn burner.
6.) Mock (10-1). He dances with sub 4 here as well.
7.) Burch (11-1). Less familiar with him directly but is apparently an absolute demon on the downs. How many scalps does he grab on the down? He sort of gets a pass on my rule of picking guys who have raced at Pikes, because he has done well at many other races with significant climbs and altitude.
There is 4:11 runner Fain, so he is the logical choice for spot 8.
After this, it gets really tough and many variables are in the mix. There are several Spainards in with competitive entries. One, Castaner is a winner of a Skymarathon, and then three listed in the marathon (Arsensio, Ginesta, Gispert) under the head of the Spanish WMRA team. I have a bit of a tough time picking the unknown, unproven entities on the mountain. So this means, guys like Handler are a bit of a crap shoot as to whether they show up, whether they race it well. I have run down sub 2:20 marathoners above tree line and watched 2:45 marathoners run away. Nothing against Carlos - I just can't make a pick for him when he has not run the hill yet.
Anyway ... if you are dancing in the sub 4:30 range, it typically means a top ten spot, almost definitely top 15. I am thinking it will take a sub 4:20 to break the top ten this year.
Various names to consider ... Collins, Cooper, Malmberg, Moya, Chavez, Miessner (who has a competitive entry but does not appear on the competitive bio page), Grauch.
Still no word on MC in the PA? I actually registered on RunCO so I can throw my 2cents for some great prizes!
ReplyDeleteDude, you need to lay off the shine before you make a blog entry... Thanks for the nod, but not sure I can live up to your prediction. On paper, maybe I can hit 4:30 but there still are a lot of unknowns. Altitude (which I'm working on), running downhill (which I'm working on) trail running experience (which I'm working on) So I guess you could say I'm a work in progress that may or may not be able to put it all together in a little more than 10 days. One things for sure, I'm in pretty damn good shape right now so as long as I don't do something stupid, I should be right there.
ReplyDeleteOh, and save some of that shine for after the race, cause I'm going to need it! Wait, skip the shine and make it a beer....
What about GZ? He is running very good this year. Top 10? I think so!
ReplyDeleteMatt - I think MC could wait until next Friday to declare for the PPA.
ReplyDeleteWard - I think you are legitimately in the hunt for sub 4:30, and you like me have to play it right to drive under 4:20. But, hell, I have never even met you so what do I know? I just have a intuitive feeling that we are probably near each other in terms of fitness now.
Brad - I need to put your name in there as well as folks to watch. I don't think your prior run there is reflective of what you can do.
Good stuff, GZ.
ReplyDeleteI'd say if MC only runs the marathon, he's the prohibitive favorite. If you're paying 2:1, I'd gladly take some of that action. :)
Just to throw some numbers out there for what a reasonable expectation of Parr would be for a double (or MC if he doubles), MC has done the double 4 times. Here are his times (PPA, PPM, Ascent of PPM):
1989: 2:08, 3:39 (2:14)
1990: 2:07, 4:00 (2:20)
2001: 2:16, 3:53 (2:24)
2007: 2:12, 3:48 (2:23)
In '89 he lost the ascent to Scott Elliot by more than a minute. He won the marathon, with a 7 minute lead at the top. In '90 he won the ascent by beating Elliot by more than a minute. He was 6th in the marathon - 2nd at the top (albeit 7 mins behind), but ran a 1:39 down, slower than anyone in the top 10. 2001 and 2007 he won both. Interestingly Mackey was 2nd in the marathon both of these years.
Doubling among fast guys (close or under 4) doesn't seem to be a very popular thing to do. I looked back 20 years and could only find one other guy who had done a double...Bernie (no surprise) did it in 2003: 2:32, 4:11 (2:41)
So, it doesn't seem *that* out of line that Parr would be on the podium if he doubles. How many guys in the marathon will break 2:30 on the ascent? 3? 4? It seems like he would be right in the mix.
But who knows? We'll find out soon enough I suppose..
+1 on the 2-1 action, free money!
ReplyDeletePS. I read MC's response last year, gotta love his signature signoff, which is pretty much exactly the opposite of what he told you in the email :)
Don't kill yourself, and you'll most likely kill it out there. Sandbagger...
Patrick - yeah, I actually considered MC at 1:1.5 or even less.
ReplyDeleteScott - Great analysis. Generally speaking, you analysis shows a top guy runs the ascent on the marathon day 6-13 minutes slower the next day. That means they run 30 seconds to a minute slower per mile.
I am picking Parr for the win, and I will go so far to say that is at the 2:10 mark. I think he comes back the next day however worked from that battle (given the competition) and hence runs in the 2:20 range for the run up. Hence I pick him for third after MC and Parker.
15 guys under 2:30 in the Ascent. Deepest field ever (although, I think I seem to think that every year).
5 guys under 2:30 in the marathon, and 4 under 4.