Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday 082010

AM – 3 miles.  Jogged with JZ as he rode his bike into school.  This will be my last run before Pikes.  I have 25 miles on the week, and with the marathon I will come in at 50, so – a standard taper.  Legs feel great, and there are no niggles other than the foot and bit in the knee from the fall.  Tomorrow I will be hanging on the summit watching folks finish in what I have called the “Super Bowl of Altitude Mountain Running.”  I am not sure that spending the morning at 14000 feet screaming at people not to walk is the best way to physically spend your day before a mountain marathon, but spiritually it is off the charts.

It is pretty clear to me that I will be dealing with some level of a foot issue come race day.  I am not sure how much it will be an issue or how much it will impact the race, but I will need to deal with it.  I currently expect it to be much more of a detriment on the down.  I have given thought to changing up shoes for the race, and rather than race in the Racer ST flats (that I typically go with) to lace up the Cascadias (typical trainer) for a bit more cushion.  Probably a race morning call.  The thought to wear my hiking boots has even (momentarily) crossed my mind.

Pictures of some of the prep going on up high.  The hose thing is sort of incredible.  The prediction contest for the Ascent has closed up over at RunColo, and JM has a wrap up of how the predictions sum up.

Leadville women breakdown.  On the men’s side, Clark did a good job of listing the players.  I am not sure how to pick this because ultras are so fickle to so much that can happen on the day.  

It seems pretty obvious that the Mayor of Green Mountain is gunning for the King of Pikes Peak’s Pb record, given his gang of pacers each are studs in their own right.  It seems clear to me that Mr. Tony can win the race, but an effort to chase the course record can also unravel that and result in a DNF.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  In the mix, Callahan, Koerner, Sweeney, Lucho, AJW, Tiernen, Bien, Swigart and probably someone none of us have ever heard of.   I will admit a blatant biased preference towards the local guys.  Post script note – while it seems to me that Tony is gunning for the record, this recent interview with him explicit states otherwise.  “This year, I don't care about the finish time. I just want to win. If I get to 70 miles and I'm on course record pace, I'm certainly going to be keying on the splits and trying to get the course record. Early on though, I'm not going to be concerned about time splits at all. I'm not going to consciously push the pace to be on course record time. I'm just going to be running within myself and competing against the other runners.”

In this race, while I am interested in the win, I am really interested in the journey of guys like JT, Brandon – all the best to them. 

Leadville has a bit of a call for me (I watched Race Across the Sky last night) undoubtedly.  Still not sure if I will go dance with it some day or continue my love affair with some mountain down south.

15 comments:

  1. I bet the hoses were for PBR, they just said it was for water, but we know the truth...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It be better if it were PBR. That water tastes horrible at that station (very hosey).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck and run smart on Sunday!

    Have fun tomorrow as well - looks like it should be a good day for watching the ascent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nick. Sorry - I feel I ought to know this ... are you pacing Pb?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Pb for me...I think once for that race may have been enough. I'm doing transrockies and wasatch...should have no shortage of racing miles the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah - Transrockies, that is what it was. I read it over on RunColo. Have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go time bro. Why haven't you gone to bed yet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! Will be fun to follow from up north.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No AJW at Leadville... http://attackpoint.org/log.jsp/user_5065

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Derrick - and bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GZ, You are AMAZING!!! 4:30!!!! 1st Master!!! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Brad. Great meeting you. How'd it go for you? Hope we get to share some miles soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not so good George. I think I had altitude sickness coming down. I was light headed and stomach was upset. I had to walk most of the down except the last 4 miles I started to feel better and ran it in. It was nice to meet you. I look forward to running with you. Again Great Job today. I saw you on the news tonight NBC channel 5 here in the springs. Good interview!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ack - I felt like a heel in the video.

    Sorry to hear it did not go well for you. But you live here now ... and you will acclimate.

    ReplyDelete