Pikes Ascent this AM. Initial unofficial results are posted. And there is an article up. Glenn Randall surprises the field in his debut with a sub 2:10. 12 guys go under 2:30 – so arguably the deepest upfront field ever if you agree with that arbitrary distinction, but not nearly as deep as I thought it would be. Definitely a very deep women’s field – with somewhere near a dozen and a half breaking 3.
Thanks to “xxx” for getting me up the hill. Had a blast up on the top with Justin, Nick, Scott E, Ward and a whole bunch of others watching the finishing switchbacks.
Randall’s win in the sub 2:10 range – WOW. The tightness of the women’s race – WOW. Tim Parr having an obvious tough day – what will he bring to the marathon tomorrow? Kloser running 2:31 as a 50 year old!! Guys going off course … ack!
It was both inspiring and intimidating to watch this. People exceed expectations or meet their goals, but just as many – or more are chewed up and spit out by the mountain. It made me realize that it seems equally as likely for me to have a good day or a bad one in terms of performance – so it is all about mindset. All predictions and goals I set before suddenly seem both attainable and impossible at the same time.
Some great pix from Justin (oh yeah, prediction contest results – and the Kenyan did not show!)
Pre race shots
Ward and JM
Bill and Sherri Wright
Team USA
Summit Shots
Top 12 men
Top Women (top 3 separated by just over a minute?)
Jeff V
80 percent sure on the Cascadia’s tomorrow. No running today.
Leadville underway … irunfar interviews
With Randall's 1:41 at Mt. Evans I think it's more suprising that he stayed under the radar as the favorite this morning!
ReplyDeleteHope Timmy Parr is able to run well tomorrow.
Hearing he had stomach issues. Apparently Manning, Blake, Freudenburg and maybe one other went off course and lost 15 minutes?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteRick - I saw Delsin listed as the winner also, but now it's showing Randall again.
ReplyDeleteDoes anyone know if they're giving $1000 for the fastest ascent of the weekend, like they did last year? sub-2:10 will be pretty tough to be beat.
It was Randall. And yes, a kilo to the fastest ascent of the weekend. http://pikespeakmarathon.org/awards.htm
ReplyDeleteOther than MC's 2:08 ascent a few years back during the PPM, you have to go back to 1990 to find a faster ascent than today's. In 1990 MC and SE went 2:07 and 2:09.
ReplyDeleteWait! Let me correct myself on the previous comment.
ReplyDeleteOther than a handful of sub 2:09's by MC you have to go back to 1990 to see a faster ascent by someone other than MC!
Oh crap! I really jumped the gun on this! Meija has some great stuff as well after 1990.
ReplyDeleteHey, great run by Randall today. And GZ feel free to delete my errors so I don't cause confusion!
How do you go off course in this race? I've never understood that.
ReplyDeleteKeri Nelson wins round 1 against Kimmel...
Rick - no worries. I really wish I had access to the whole results db in one shot so I could just query it.
ReplyDeleteBrett ... there are two spots where folks typically go off. One is just before No Name, the other is at A frame. I think Carpenter went off at A frame his first year.
What is crazy about this is these guys went off at - well I don't know where. Bottomless Pit? And some of those guys know the course.
Shit happens to all of us.
Eric, Zac, and two others run to the Bottomless Pit! Incredible ... normally the deepest of sympathy's go to those who go off course, but ... but ... sorry guys, you really blew it. The course hasn't changed in 54 years ... it's the Barr Trail ... can't miss it ... and 3 of the 4 guys have done the race before!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, deepest field ever, even with 4 of the best taking themselves out it. The World Long Distance Mountain Running Championship is always great.
The first mile was insane; the young guns were going after it, and it paid to hang back a little.
Kloser ran his own race and it was terrific.
Kloser's performance is rather insane.
ReplyDelete2:31. At the age of 50. Well, actually, that record might drop in four years.
Are you following leadville? Pretty shoddy coverage. Anton losing speed, struggling last I heard. . .
ReplyDeleteYeah - I am following via #lt100 and #ltr100 via twitter feeds and what RobOdea is posting there as well. And I am yelling at Nick Clark who is across the room about it.
ReplyDeleteWell, Lifetime Fitness has some room to improve, eh?
what does "All Anton!!! 1:27pm into Twin Lakes!!! #ltr100 #lt100" that mean?
ReplyDeleteNoise.
ReplyDeleteThe rumor webs now say he is out.
And others are saying he is in.
The information age.
Check the #leadville100 feed on twitter
ReplyDeleteAnton out?
ReplyDeleteSounds like it
ReplyDeleteRoboDea must be drinking the 10.5 abv I'm drinking. Good luck tomorrow GZ and tell Nick all the best, as well.
ReplyDeleteGeorge - was getting the award for 1st Place Master's Male on your goal list? :)
ReplyDeleteAWESOME!!!
Just in from a ride and saw the results - YOU ROCK GZ!!! Congratulations on a great race!
ReplyDeleteKilled it.
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! Now with a cold one, and nursing a sizable blister, enjoying it before I start thinking about where to get 56 seconds.
ReplyDelete