Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wednesday 080410

Burch has part of his GM100 report up.  He puts GM100 as more difficult than Pb100.

Culpepper on the move to SD article.

A different take on 3-2-1 hill workouts.

I went to bed thinking I might get to the track and do some turn over work.  When I woke up, however, I knew I was not ready for that.  I could just feel it in my legs.  Nonetheless, I jumped out for the warm up – assessing.  Confirmed:  I felt sluggish and my pace was slower to accommodate as much.  I knew I could force the workout, and even contemplated different variations (200s rather than a larger ladder for example), but there would be some disappointment with that.  On days when I feel good and I am ready to work this, I need to force a slow down on the warm up – as I am roaring to get going.

But anyway, because of indecision, or the hope that things would suddenly be great, I ended up at the track.  And at the last minute, I decided to do a fixed HR workout.  I decided to cap my HR at 150 for 3 miles and see what pace came out.

image
image

Well!  That was a nice surprise, particularly since I have not seen these sort of paces at a sub 150 HR since at least 2007.  Felt good, and it actually woke up those legs nicely.  8 miles.

Afternoon – legs felt better … and so I got out and did some half mile repeats (recently motivated) but on the road (upper Simms).  So the odd numbered ones were slightly down and the even numbered ones were slightly up.  2:46, 2:50, 2:42, 2:50, 2;39, 2:46.  2 minutes rest between each, at a very easy slog jog.  A bit warm out (90) but I felt good.  8 miles.

image

5 comments:

  1. Nice. You have a solid base and looks like there's some speed in those old legs of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, nice work. It's great to get some good HR/pace feedback like that once in a while.

    Hey, in case you haven't seen it - I just downloaded SportTracks 3.0 this morning. I've been wondering when they were going to get around to doing an update. Looks like a pretty big improvement.

    http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/3.0-is-coming.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris - I saw that and downloaded it. I, at least at the first 60 second glance, did not see anything hugely different about it. What new features do you dig?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, direct 310XT support is huge. I'm hoping that makes a difference - it's been squirrely with the old version. Looks like the best is yet to come once people get ahold of the new plugin architecture and develop some more cool stuff for us to use. I guess it's not outwardly as different as I thought, but I will be very happy if there are substantial speed and stability improvements.

    Seems a little more snappy, especially in the map view. Mine was always slow. You can click and drag along a section of your route in the map now and it will highlight that part in the chart view. Kinda cool, still exploring that a bit.

    ReplyDelete