AM – ten miles easy. Met up early with Don B to trade some war stories.
Technologies I am playing with today: Running Ahead (on line GPS data collection site – tip from Jay), the new blogger stats, and Gmail Priority Inbox
Will / when will there be a sub 2 hour marathon?
Bike race up Pikes this past weekend, and a race report. At times my speed dropped to 3mph and I was going all-out as hard as I could.
Treadmill versus outdoor running revisited.
Catching up on how I did on my PP predictions. For the Ascent, I predicted these folks … and how they actually finished.
1.) Parr (ack – tough day for Timmy and is simply not in the form he was in 09 where he appeared unbeatable – 34th)
2.) Haefer (close – fourth)
3.) Gates (got this one)
4.) Nichols (close – fifth)
5.) Chemweno (yet another Kenyan who does not start. I will get burned someday for not picking internationals, but I simply won’t because they are too much a wild card to even get to the line)
6.) Blake (got off course – finished 20th!)
7.) Maksimow (finished 8th – so close)
8.) Manning (got off course – finished 15th!)
9.) Randall (well, he won … 8 spots better than I predicted him)
10.) Mendoza (finished well back – did he get off course too? 30th)
I missed Peace, Donnelly (from the UK), Burrell (late entrant), Lopez (Mexico). Not bad. Might have done better had some folks not took a hike to the Bottomless Pit.
Marathon, I picked:
1.) Carpenter (got this, but it is sort of a given)
2.) Parker (this guy is very consistently racking up sub 4 performances)
3.) Parr (Yeah, missed this but again, he was just not the big factor this year … I tip my hat to him though for fighting through the weekend. He finished seventh)
4.) Boettcher (he finished ninth. I might have got this but he was doubling back from a tough mountain 10k the day before)
5.) Clark - (Nick is having an incredible year when you look at it … lots of wins, CRs, PRs … and being one spot out of the money here. Thought he’d get sub 4 though … wonder if he gets that next year)
6.) Mock (finished 15th on a tough day – for him. A time he is not happy with 4:31 – would have been a PR for me …)
7.) Burch - (did not start … was dealing with some niggling injuries)
8.) Fain (got this one)
Spots 9 and 10, which I did not pick, went to Boettcher and Grauch. I missed the Spainard Castaner (sixth), and the three guys from Nick’s planet Krypton … but I gave all those guys a nod in my predictions. Not bad on whole across the two races. Obviously, the depth of the Ascent keeps it much harder to pick. Got to wonder how things change up a bit if the race does not have the international flavor.
PM – 5 miles easy.
I was just playing around with Running Ahead. Not bad but I like attackpoint.org better.
ReplyDeleteLooks like Wood is leading the contest (he got my vote). I recall seeing last week where you mentioned your post-race convo with him. Got me thinking on my AM run today then:
ReplyDeleteWhat's more impressive - doubling at Pikes at age 81 or fathering a son at age 64?
Sorry for the inevitable nasty mental images this surely brings up.
I have not yet voted, but I think I'd lean towards Randall. That might be because I actually am stupid enough to entertain the thought of the double at 81 ... but I know there is no way I am going under 2:10.
ReplyDeleteBTW, Wood, like most late age groupers did not start running until about a dozen years ago (from what I gathered in our conversation).
Trailrat ... I am so tied in with Sportstracks - I am not sure I can really shift over to any web based service for GPS tracking.
I don't think that Mendoza got off course (it was Manning, Blake, Delaney, and Freudenberg).
ReplyDeleteOn predictions, I peeked at the Imogene start list the other day and started a post on that as the race date nears. We're looking at Parr v. Boettcher v. Tribbia for the win.
Hmm ... I'd say Bernie over the others but I am not sure which Parr will show up
ReplyDeleteOnce again, JMock stuns the party with an out there question!
ReplyDeleteNot a sub 2 marathon, but have you seen the video of that dude breaking the 800m world record (twice in the past week now)? Yeowza.
Yeah, pretty much both races are in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_of87fPA6fg
ReplyDeleteHe actually looks way more powerful in the first record, but it might be because he is demolishing the field so much.
Couple of observations ... the pacers are completely worked at 400m.
And the guy is hardly breathing hard when he finishes. When is the last time that you saw anyone do a RACE 800 like that?