Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday 081310

AM - 3 miles easy ... evaluating parts. A bit stiff in some places but okay.

PSM results (requires a bit of clicking through)


As ridiculous as it is, a defense of wanting to run fast.

Also from Fitzgerald, a short video on the "weight compensation effect" (or why some don't lose weight when they exercise).

Found out why Bernie might do this Taos 10k nuttiness the day before PPM.


Pete Pfitzinger interviews on Flotrack. You will need to fast forward a bit through the start, because the initial part is in some other language (Hebrew?). ... 3 keys to success ... be a student of the event, train with others (who are a little better than you), compete (internationally for him). Not a direct quote, but ... "I moved closer to Boston, near other marathoners like Rogers, Thomas, Meyer and learned they were not that special. Wonderful guys, but not special. I learned that they just got up every morning and trained hard." Good interview ... particularly when notes Led Zep's "Black Dog" is the best song for a treadmill workout.

Solinsky on his "kenyan shuffle." Notice ... how much bigger he is than the interviewer, and that he is in long tights on what appears to be a warm summer day.

PM - toes are the most jacked thing right now. 8 easy miles. A bit ahead of miles for the week, so I will probably take tomorrow off to see if that helps.

19 comments:

  1. Damn, your toe looks busted up. I am guessing you are used to that foot hurting though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh. It will be fine. I am not convinced that it is broken. I can curl it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really.

    Tough ... Marines I use to watch at the bar when I was in the USAF ... Two of them would drop a lit cigarette between their forearms pushed against each other, with who ever pulled away first agreeing to buy the next pitcher of beer.

    Tough and stupid. I'd say retarded to dig on that phrase I heard yesterday.

    Tough and smart ... now that is a totally different deal, and are the folks I want to hang out with and be like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you are saying that you don't want to hang out with me? The 'retarded' comment was aimed at me after-all ;)
    What constitutes tough and smart anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember a SEAL instructor/recruiter once said to me. "We aren't looking for someone who can walk into a bar with a bad crowd and kick the crap out of everyone in there. We're looking for a guy who can walk into that same bar, see that it's not a good place to be, turn around and walk out."
    Nice run up Green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am actually teasing you a bit with the retarded comment so that it becomes a nothing comment. I might be promoting the reverse inadvertently though.

    You are tough and smart.

    Most Moms I know are tough and smart (as you posted earlier in the week).

    Chuck Norris is tough and smart.

    More seriously ... My point, and a bit aligned with my thinking on racing is ... I don't think it is too tough to be tough. Or too tough to be fit. Using the muscle on top of your head ... well, that is tough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you're joking. I will be keeping that comment alive and well.
    Good analogy Rick.
    One could argue that being smart means you are never in a situation where you NEED to be tough. That's no fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's right. Seems like we are so smart these days that we don't need to use our bodies for anything and over-all prett poor health for the human race. So, is that actually smart?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. And it comes full circle. But we are smart enough to develop medicine to compensate. Life expectancy AND poor health are at all time highs now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Medicane can make us live longer but certainly doesn't make us healthier and probably doent make for a quality of life...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely, I completely agree. I would much rather have a adventurous life and die at 75 than be fat in a rest home until I'm 100. I'll be stupid and tough but smart about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excuse me!!! What the hell are you doing? Don't get distracted on all that office crap and drop the ball on getting info on Krupicka's Leadville plans! We're all waiting... get on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No idea if Tony is in or not. Yet. Lucho - your picks for top ten at Pb?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes, I have no idea. If Tony runs then he wins by 2 time zones. Then Duncan and Bob or Bob and Duncan. Then Geoff Roes, Chris Solinsky, Lindsay Lohan, Abe Vigoda then Michael Phelps. After that it's anyone's guess!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crap. I thought for sure Lindsay Lohan was going to run but I don't see her name on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Solinsky if he wears the compression socks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. AJW is pretty tough (whatever that means) and he ought to do pretty well at Pb.

    ReplyDelete