Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tuesday 081010

Mid day: decided to get after some of Simms Hill as a workout.

Short warm up (mile) and then got after it. It was warm and given the first, I was thinking that I might need to just do the workout and ignore the watch. Then after the second, I thought maybe I had over compensated a bit too much. As it turned out, it was a great workout. HR compares very much like when I did this in May, but this was much faster! 3:30, 3:44R, 3:20, 3:48R, 3:18, 3:47R, 3:15, 4:02R, 3:12, 4:10R. 3:06. This puts the average at 3:20 (with shorter rests than last time). Average last time was 3:25, and it was 3:33 in January. So - good stuff. 7.5 miles.

PM - 5.5 miles around Highland Park during KZ soccer practice.

Ward is chasing something fun - doing that 15 minute 10 percent drill they did at the show in Utah.

Galen Burrell appears in the results at Squaw Mountain. Have not seen his name in the results in a bit. He is one of a very small handful that could declare in the PPA, PPM game very late - and be a factor.

Been kicking around some threads with a few folks re: Pikes. That conversation is getting me cautiously excited. From that conversation ... ouple things to note from the web site ... first, while the WMRA LDR race is the Ascent, the PPM is on the Skyrunner circuit and so there is 500 more bucks up for first place. Also, there is clearly a push for folks not to skip the awards assembly. From the site: Awards No Shows: Top 10 Overall and top 5 Masters must be present at the awards presentation to get their awards. Age-group award winners can get theirs mailed or pic kthem up at the office for $20.

I skipped the award assembly after the marathon last year. Part of it was because my family showed up in town at the finish, unexpectedly and I did not want them to drag around. But admittedly, I was eager to move past the race ... a bit of a weak move on my part. I will let this year's result determine if I go to the assembly or not. Even if not in the awards, I think I'd like to be there to give props to the top runners (and hear the smack talk between JM and NC)

Anyway, as there is already a good list of predictions for the PPA for men, I will not post a bunch on that here. This weekend I will try to get up some more solid predictions for the PPM and some of the stuff going on over on the women's side. And I will look to post some race goals for myself.

The big question that is out there is if Carpenter shows up for the Ascent. I am guessing no but I have NO inside knowledge at all on that.

Brandon has a nice break down of bloggers at Leadville. Tony still not on the start list! Anyone got a prediction for this race?

Some good stuff re: some of the plans regarding OSMP lands in here. Sounds like there are some significant proposals to reroute a lot of the trails on upper Green, down to a single route! ACK!

Crazy story re: St. Louis (1904) Olympic Marathon.

Some vid from last week's RCPM show.

16 comments:

  1. I don't think there is a permit limit for Leadville, so the RD can let whoever he wants in. Tony is a former winner and would bring a lot of interest to the race (and would make the movie better), so my guess is he could show up on race morning and still get in.

    Tony has said that Pb is the only race he has won that won't comp his entry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be more excited to see Tony at PPM. He's won Leadville twice, so the CR is all that's left (and I don't doubt he can beat it at his current fitness).

    Pb won't comp entries... unless you saw off your own hand, then you get in free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way Tony will get into PPM.

    If he had wanted to, I am sure he could have gotten in via the competitive entry process, but that window has passed.

    Of course, I'd like to see that too, but that won't be this year.

    That said, I am not sure what there is to gain other than a few hundred bucks by Lifetime to NOT comp Tony in - if that is indeed the case. I think Lifetime Fitness is not scrapping for dollars that tightly, and they probably would do a lot more to harm their rep by busting a 2x champions balls. Not sure that is what is happening, but if it is - it stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GZ- no more sandbagging like your BTMR post on 7/15...sub 4:30 is 'in the cards'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fair enough and ought to be if I execute well, weather cooperates, I do not fall and do not turn an ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leadville 100 and related events have grown into a huge greed-driven monster. I'm not surprised one bit that they wouldn't comp anton's entry. As an experienced 100 miler friend told me when I asked his opinion of bear 100, "leadville is overpriced and a boring course".

    ReplyDelete
  7. From what I remember Tony wasn't on the start list for Pb last year either. I guess he just has to ask and pony up the 350 to get in.

    Thanks for the link on OSMP stuff. Hopefully all of that doesn't go through on Green. I can see rerouting/restructuring parts to be more sustainable but closing a lot and making it one trail would be pretty bad in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack. 350? I am pretty sure LF gets a bit more measurable benefit out of a top runner being in their race than 350.

    And such a trail re-reroute ... OPPOSED.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah with the late reg fee it is 350 - and I am thinking that they are not going to give the early reg price...

    At least the OSMP plan is proposed. Hopefully there will be enough resistance that it doesn't go through as they want. Although I am sure there will at least be some changes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome workout! Looks like you are getting some great feedback as the big day approaches.

    Did you see Hal's Death Race report - http://roguevalleyrunners.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-day-at-time.html

    That dude cracks me up:
    I was feeling unbelievable good and sort of felt bad for everyone else for how fast I was taking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris - thanks. Yeah, I saw that. Hal is a hoot. And glad to see he has bounced back well post a tough WS100.

    Nick ... I am sure some trail rerouting will take place in the name of compromise. I don't have the long history of knowing these trails like some ... but it seems the compromises keep limiting access (less dog access, trail closures). At face value - that is not what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is the simms hill you are referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  13. On Simms, I head north. I start at the corner of Simms and 112th, and then run the hill to the telephone pole just past the yellow traffic sign (a little less than a half mile). The average grade of the hill is 6 percent, so not super steep (although there are some sections up to 10 percent).

    ReplyDelete
  14. cool, that's what I thought. I do repeats on that hill all the time, its one of my favorite hills to do bare foot repeats on. Next time you do it let me know and I'll join you, its a mile from my house, I'm just south of there by standley lake off simms.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent. Do you do them of the same length?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think so, although I haven't paid that much attention to my times, but I know its about a half mile what I usually do. And I usually just try to do each one a bit faster than the last one. It's nice to have at least somewhat of a decent hill I can go run up and down that is right by my house for the days when I can't make it over to the mountains.

    ReplyDelete