Justin’s report for PPA over at RT.
Looking over the PPA results, and the RunColo prediction contest – apparently I race better than I predict. I finished 15th in the prediction contest (versus a 12th place finish yesterday). Kudos to Manitou Springs’ Kelly Parker for nailing second (the same place her husband secured in the PPM). I have suspicions however that she was somehow involved in a conspiracy to get some of those folks off trail above Barr/below A-frame to further assure her chances in the contest.
A little comparison … if the Ascent and PPM results were aggregated into one list for a virtual ascent, I would have taken place number … guesses anyone? 60. Pretty deep Ascent. Not sure many typically finish sub 3 hours and how this year stands up but my guy tells me it is a bit deeper than usual. Four more went sub 2:30 yesterday as well.
I feel pretty good today. I am not too sore actually, other than my “nicks.”
I have a larger 2x quarter blood blister on my left heel, but bisected by a lawn mower scar –so that is a bit sensitive. I know exactly where I got this on the trail. It was a matter of just hitting a perfectly pointed rock in the right spot on the scar. I have a few other “niggles.” My left knee hit a rock up high and that is a little sore, and I took a very minor spill on the lower part of the Barr (sliding on some of the loose gravel) – some scrapes there (nothing new on the hands though because I wore gloves). So …
I hit the recumbent bike at the office in the afternoon while I read some work related stuff. Just wanted to work out some of the gunk, rather than tighten up like a drum. 45 minutes, just easy spinning (90 plus, hardly any resistance, HR never broke 95).
Lots of reports to catch up on and a report to write over the next couple of days.
That is a sweet looking header pic. Enjoy the spoils! Congrats on executing a solid race and I'm looking forward to the details.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on a super solid performance! I look forward to reading more details.
ReplyDeleteNice race! That's a pretty sharp looking shirt, too :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome race G. I am blown away by the difference in attitude from past years (or at least last year), you were like 100 times more relaxed and, from my perspective at least, much less 'speed' trained and far more trained for a deeper base type fitness. You also ran much less vertical this year?
ReplyDeleteI'm very stoked for you.
Chris - thanks. That gear is off to the shed (where these things end up).
ReplyDeleteAaron - thanks. Once I get recovered, let's go do Simms a bit.
Mtnrunner2 - I like the shirt, but some folks were apparently miffed that it was not a jacket.
Lucho - I know you can relate to the mental looseness I (we) have to embrace (or not to embrace) in these sort of efforts. And yes, little speed training, more confidence in tapering, and less vertical. The mix of speed, vertical, long will probably need to be tweaked for any individual, but I find I don't need a ton of the uphill stuff - particularly that super steep stuff like Sanitas or Green.
And your Pb - WOW.