Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday 020113

AM – 7 miles.  Decent wind this AM with a good bite. 

If you are a military airplane type, this site is unbelievable.  I have a bit of that in my past.   I found a BUFF-D pretty quick “walking around” in this site.

A lot of times I get to travel to some places that are inspirational in terms of running.  Other times not so much (multiple laps on this block).

image

To remember, do, make a project of on these sort of trips (5 simple things versus over analysis)

1.)  Get out and do.  Yeah, it sucks sometimes.  It is cold.  It is dark.  It is early.  It is hot.   It is windy.  Whatever.  Some, even if it is a half hour is often better than none.  Make the time, get up early, sneak it in before heading out for dinner.  Get it done.

Corollary to 1:  the environment might suck.  It could mean a 30 minute session around a parking lot (I am still up in the air as to whether that is better than a treadmill, but that is a different debate).  You’ll feel better for doing it versus not doing it because you don’t want to run around a parking lot for 30 minutes.  Take what you can get.  It is better than the alternative of doing nothing.

2.)  Drink more water.  I tend to, for reasons I don’t know, become less concerned about hydrating myself.  And I pay for it.  It creates a cascade effect of other obviously easily avoidable problems.

3.)  Roll with it when you can.  On the business trips I am going to often feel a bit more  generally fatigued, and drag from the all day meeting marathon fests.  Getting out and getting going is the first obvious step.  But whenever I can, ought not be content to just slog along, and I should look to get a jump on a quality workout.

4.)  Eat less.  There is food EVERYWHERE.  Concierge lounge in the AM, the PM, a working lunch brought in and then a dinner with the team in the evening.  I just need to be conscious in thinking about what I am eating and how much of it.  Unconsciously, when put into this system, I just eat.  And more than I should.

There could be a corollary here of drink less beer as well.  I realize that is a bit more of divisive issue for some.

5.)  Get up and move during the day.  Lots of sitting in the meetings all day.  It means I tighten up like a drum.  Simply fixed by getting up and moving during the meetings.  Not a big deal, but again, being conscious of it.

4 comments:

  1. Is that link to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB? It definitely looks like it, but I never knew it as the Nat'l Museum of the USAF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good post dude. i am living this right now. In NOLA doing a huge wireless network install for the Celebrity Beach Bowl. Gluttony at it's finest. I have got out for some running, but a bit forced. nothing awesome and there are obviously food and drink everywhere. trying to the stay on track.

    ...i do learn a lot about myself and why I run on these work trips or vacations back east when I am not around "awesome" running. it all feels forced and my motivation crashes. It becomes more apparent that I love to run to get out in the environment, soak up the sun, and rip some trails. when i don't have access to those running is just not the same and i'd rather sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good insight, GZ. That advice is right on. I downloaded an iphone app to remind me at random times of the day to drink water based on the hydration goal I've set for myself. I use it as a cue to get up and move a bit too - and find a vegetable to snack on. Makes it more like a game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. J-dub - Good stuff. I think I get a lot of the run for those great places. I get something else too though, like space to ... to whatever. Be present, think about something, think about nothing, listen to some music or some podcast, workout, whatever. But clearly, I was challenged this past week.

    And yeah, the gluttony is everywhere.

    Lisa - I like the goal games. They help the projects move along!

    Steve - I think it is, but I am not sure (given the site is down tonight ... well that does not help)

    ReplyDelete