Some folks noted that I placed a Hoka One One banner on my sidebar late yesterday afternoon. After reaching out to them over the weekend, they followed up with me. Certainly I don’t carry the street cred of a Mackey or a Meltzer and hence that level of ambassadorship (yet). Nonetheless I am happy to say that we have connected, and I am looking forward to working with them.
So yes, a shoe that I have been happy with will get some level of plug here on occasion. There is my disclaimer.
Here are a couple of videos from the past few years related to my feet and shoes. The first is gives an idea of some of the scar tissue I have with my feet, and then the fun blood blister I was awarded after Pikes in 2010 when racing that in a road flat. It illustrates the missing toe, and some of the crap I deal with on my foot bottom.
Here is a video I did shortly after Pikes last year. The thought here is to give you what my insights were on Hokas before I engaged with them in this relationship.
Anyway, I had been considering putting up a post on my wear pattern (as it reflects how ugly my stride form is), and so here is a video on that.
My point … for me with as jacked as my feet are, and as messed up as my mechanics are, these shoes work well for me.
Are you going to hang a Hoka banner on Jack?
ReplyDeleteHe has built in shoes and the Jack already can fly.
DeleteCool vids and congrats again on Hoka deal! Glad you took the chance. Interesting how many people with foot, leg, knee, and hip issues do well with Hokas. My local Hoka dealer has sold plenty with referrals from me. You will do good for the company.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jim. You encouragement for me to re-apply definitely helped! I appreciate that.
Deleteawesome dude! question. What percentage of running do you do, or plan to do in the Hokas. You know I am a believer but have strayed from in the new year. I kind of used them as a training tool to safely build my mileage. Contemplating getting another pair for a couple of runs a week. thoughts? which pair do you like the best for trail and road? I found the bondi b's to pretty solid on an off road.
ReplyDeleteMy percentage varies. I actually think switching up shoes is a good thing if you can afford it. This time of the year I get a pair wet so they need to dry out anyway. Maybe a third then? Pretty much all the mountain races ... and a steeplechase occasionally.
DeleteI think the EVO Stinsons are what are best for trails - simply because of that more aggressive outsole. I think the Bondis will do well on a trail - because they too have a wide surface area, but the Stinsons hold up better to trail abuse.
I would have bet money Hoka would accept. Nice!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jeff!
DeleteMan, you can really thrash a shoe! I would be curious to know if the Bondi sole has changed a bit over the years, as mine do not look anything like that (the tread has worn as expected for a shoe with over 500 miles, but not peeled like that).
ReplyDeleteLove the Stinson EVO. Have only run in them once (saving them for special occasions), but am impressed with the comfort, the cushioning of course, traction, lightness, responsiveness. The Stinson EVO almost makes the Mafate obsolete as it outperforms in all areas (at least for me).
If I were forced to dump all my shoes and only keep one brand, it would be the Hokas for sure.
Congrats again on the Hoka deal.
Thanks Jeff. I love the idea that you save a pair of shoes for special occasions. Sort of like rolling out the sweet car for a special date.
DeleteI'm just procrastinating writing my Moab blog post by reading others' blogs (that, and I don't sleep well) so don't worry about me :), all's good.
ReplyDeleteI loved the vid about your wear pattern. When I relearned to run with a midfoot plant, I watched everyone run and how they landed; it's cool to see fall the unique styles. One day I'm going to do a post about my current wear pattern and how it greatly swung in a different direction. First Moab.
Congrats again on the Hoka gig, very happy for you! Off to bed...
Thanks Jill.
DeleteSleep ... it is a good thing. Wish I could do it the way I did when I was a kid. What is up with that aspect of aging?