Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday 062213

Long run this AM.  Up early.  Headed out of Chautauqua on the Mesa, and then up Green via Bear Canyon.  Came down the middle route.  Pretty much seemed to have the mountain to myself until I came down past the Ranger cottage (early start on a Sunday I guess).  Did a quick station stop at the car – which included shifting from the Garmin to the Iphone for gps tracking (as the Garmin battery was just about dead).  Back up the mid, and I felt surprisingly good.  Better than yesterday on this climb for sure. 

Saw a lot more people on this second trip of course – but they seemed eager to get out of the way.  Maybe it was the city camo Skins half tights and no shirt that helped?

Came back down the mid and just before the Greenman Ranger junction, I got my first bear sighting on anything on the Front Range.

18 miles (10.3 the first loop, 7.7 the second (Strava put the second loop on the phone as 8.5 miles, but I have put the up and down on the middle route as 7.7 a handful of other times) in 3:45 with over 5k elevation.  Longest time run and most elevation in a single run on the year.  I am happy with how I felt.  I felt pretty comfortable throughout, but clearly was getting some of that fatigue feeling going into the final part of the second climb (and some of that tweaky catching I get in my hammies when I do that – that is why this is good practice – I am strengthening that).

But I am happier that I saw the bear.  That was cool.

2 laps on Green gave me the 38th and 39th summits of that this year.

Watched the 1500 finals yesterday.  I found the contrast in perspectives between the guy who took fourth (Elliott) and fifth (Leer) to quite interesting.  First, Elliott  “I ran 4:42 in high school.”

Then Leer.  “That was a shit show.”

Word is Carpenter’s record (7:59:44) was broken by Dakota “nearing middle age money” Jones with an amazing 7:35:03.  I am not particularly surprised given Dakota’s affinity and familiarity with the area.  Good on the guy and well done.  Breaking any CR is satisfying.  I imagine breaking a Carpenter CR is an order of magnitude greater.

15 comments:

  1. I'm no zoologist, but I think walking towards a bear is about the dumbest thing you can do short of rubbing bacon grease on your ball sack.
    Don't let the wife see this video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, DJ ran like an 8:13 there a few years ago, had a 20mph tail wind down the divide and said it was his best run ever. And then beats that by nearly 1 minute per mile?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the past 10 YEARS there have been ~10 bear attack fatalities.

    In 2012 alone there were 38 fatal dog attacks.

    The dumbest thing you could do is approach a dog. The bear is just heading off minding his own business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, especially if the dog owner says "He's friendly!". Because otherwise you might mistake the growling, charging and circling around to bite your rear as threatening behavior. Heh.

      Delete
  5. The video makes it seem like I was approaching the bear. If anything the bear was getting further away from me through out the video.

    When I first came around the corner and saw it - I was quite surprised. Luckily this was on a long enough stretch that I got a good visual on it before being too close - as opposed to popping up on it just on some single switch back.

    I am pretty sure the bear knew I was there, but it expressed little interest in my presence. I think actually once it became aware of me, it decided to head to its left off the trail (and I had done similar).

    Once it had cleared the trail well, I moved back to the trail - putting me in what I thought was a safer position relative to the bear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucho makes a good point. Probably makes sense to walk up to a bear when you encounter one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did make a good point.. but you missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, if anyone attempts the bacon thing, please don't shoot a video of it.

    The bear encounter is great! It did look a bit like it was limping, hope it's OK.

    Nice workout.

    Dakota is middle aged? If so, I'm a fossil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool encounter. I'm still waiting for my first sighting. Thanks for sharing the video!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those two videos are Exhibit A on the importance of attitude in running (or any other endeavor). Just seemed as if Elliot was desperate to find a way to run his best and Leer was focused on everything except the things he could control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. That perspective distance is huge - and actually has more of an outcome on the race than I think many consider.

      Delete
  11. That bear sighting, awesome!

    I've run the SJS50 in 2010 and this year. Conditions both years were comparable and favorable (though didn't feel nearly as windy this year). What DJ did this past weekend was absolutely amazing and I still can't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaime - that race seems pretty epic. I take it the smoke was never really a factor this weekend?

      Delete
    2. As close as them fires were/are, we had clear blue bird skies all weekend long.

      Delete