Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday 072213

KZ started driver’s ed today.  She could have started quite some time ago – maybe a year? – but she has not been as interested in driving as I was at her age.  Apparently this is not unusual for kids these days (despite the auto industry trying to address it). 

She got to watch that video classic today and was quite amused. 

USMRT results from Cranmore (thanks Freebird) and a coverage story.  The men’s team looks solid with three of the guys on it having great historical results at Pikes (Hafer a former Ascent winner, Randall as well in a sub 2:10 debut, Nichols being second and King being third in the marathon last year).

In regard to a GS record,I know Clarke was down 36 minutes after Western to Sharman.  He got 3 back after Vermont.  I got to figure now with the more mountainous runs coming now he will get the rest of the half hour and then some over Sharman.  Both of those guys are some two hours ahead of Gorman’s pace post the first two runs.  You never know what happens with hundreds – particularly multiples but assuming these guys press on through at what they are capable of it looks like that record falls.

Mock has a good recap on the weekend races.

Canova talks about how to beat Mo Farrah at the 5k.  Take up another sport until the man gets old.

Regarding Pikes, Jeff was asking me yesterday who I thought was in contention for the Masters win.  I’d lean towards Gunnison Times owner and editor Dickey to take it again, but you have some unknown quantities coming with Gellin and Dunlap.  Mopping up behind will be guys like Wilson, Vega, Zuniga, Poppele, JV and me.  But really – what makes this difficult is trying to figure which masters crack the top ten and hence get pulled from the top masters results (which is a bit goofy to me, even though I benefit).  That is guys like Mackey.  And I am sure there is at least one other person out there that I am forgetting.  Dickey for example was a guy that I did not see coming last year as his prior two Ascent runs were in the 2:58, 59 range.  In the marathon he improved to a 2:50, and put together a solid down (1:41) for the master’s win.  That could be a guy like Oseland this year.

I have started to wonder if the PR I put out there as the goal at Pikes is within range.  It is certainly a possibility, but I can’t say that I have emerged this summer in shape 20 minutes faster than in prior years and that a PR is just a given.  It is not.  And so it is good goal:  challenging, not easy.  I feel confident in my training, but I am also practical. 

BTMR gave me a good insight as to where I stand (or run I guess) and that is not quite the same as to where I was in 2010 when I ran my best there.  I got up to Barr Camp in 2010 PPM and at the BTMR in 69 minutes (from the Cog).  This year at the BTMR, I got there in 73 minutes, and I was pretty thankful that I did not need to press on for the remaining six miles above 10000 feet.  I tend to go a bit positive on the splits above and below camp with it being around five minutes if it is a good run and 20 minutes if things really come unraveled.

And I think that is the key – it  will come down to what kind of day I am having.  This is a little magical part of the sport that I have not figured out.  There are some days I am out there and I feel like I being gently pushed forward by the laws of nature.  And other days, it feels like gravity has increased.  I know I am not the only one to have this issue – as I see runners struggle with it all the time (and am befuddled by those that never seem to have it and look at the rest of us like we have some sort of basic problem with something obvious).

Between now and race day I am going to look to focus on preparing via workouts, recovery – but also to look to dial in how I can be best prepared to execute with a good day come race day. 

Anyway … This weekend is Burro Days however.  I have not got out for nearly the burro training that I would like or should to be well prepared for a long day in the mountains with a donk, but I hope to have a good go and fun session with Jack.  Given the number of days Hal has had out with Full Tilt Boogie, and his familiarity with the course, I’d put him as the favorite.  But, as I learn with burros time and time again, any thing can happen.

Mid day.  Hot.  It is that time of year where it is hot, but you don’t seem to notice anymore.  Or maybe you notice but for short runs like this, it is really not bothersome.  6.1 miles easy.

A bear in Broomfield?!

PM – still hot.  5 miles easy.  No HR monitor on either run today.  Just easy.

Today’s run listening

2 comments:

  1. The only way the GS record will not go down is if both of those guys completely blow at one of the remaining races. Certainly possible one of them will, but I doubt both will. It has certainly happened before with Jurek. I just hope I don't see one of them laying in a cot somewhere along the way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick agree. Hard to think they would both tank, given their pedigree and records.

      Delete