Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tuesday 081313

AM – busy week, so I am not getting in any lunch running.  Instead, I am getting all the runs in before work.  Probably a good thing as I have to race at 7AM on Sunday.  6.1 miles.  Started easy through the flats and then let the run come to me with the rollers on the Lake Link trail.  Felt good, but I decided to skip strides today (again) to err on the conservative.

Mostly clearing the head this AM.  As is typical, some questions of doubt come in - “what if this happens?”  Or “what if I cramp again?”  Or “what is that microscopic niggle of discomfort in my arm pit?”  At this point, I just have to be confident in what has happened for the last 8 months and particularly the last 15 weeks and celebrate well come Sunday.

Good quote from Vern G.:  I find it very interesting to watch how hard people work at being average.  It is easy to be average so I don’t really understand why people work at it but they do. Ever notice how those that choose to be average are always making excuses, it is too hot or it too cold. They overslept or didn’t get enough sleep. They forgot their water bottle. They forgot their spikes or their bathing suit and on and on. They are the ones who cut corners in workouts. I have no tolerance for this. I accept that people have different abilities, what I cannot accept is not working to maximize the ability you have. Choose to be the best you can be, don’t accept being average. Give it your best effort; take some risks, try a little harder. Many are called and few choose - it is a conscious choice. Choose to be the best you can be and then do something about it, take action, start now, not tomorrow or the next day. Set a level of expectations that demands reaching higher.

Listened to the latest Elevation Trail (catching up post Yellowstone).  Certainly can’t say that I agree with everything these guys say but I do find some of their commentary thought provoking.  They hit on the topic of PEDs in their latest ‘cast, delving into the latest with baseball.  Gary D nails it – sports want performance enhancing to the point where it makes the sport exciting to watch, but not to the point where it is an embarrassment.  I tend to think the average joe doesn’t care about whether some emaciated runner or biker or even jacked baseball player is using such substances … until they are thinking about it impacting them.  Meaning that unless you are suddenly talking about their high schooler needing to take them to get a college scholarship, or that some body they know is not getting a coveted position on a team, or heaven forbid they don’t get their age group result – they won’t care.  Baseball and football, the two big Amercian sports reflect this.  People don’t care that there are 300 lb guys cranking 4.4 40s out there because it is just entertainment for them and otherwise not impactful.

Burro race results from Leadville.  I have yet to see them from Fairplay or Buena Vista (in posted form).

1003897_10152111200699062_2075052814_n

Looking at that I am really impressed still with Jeff Bennett even getting the damn thing done.  A 20 mile walk with a donkey who does not want to be there in the rain. 

Freakin JV had me checking the Pikes Peak cam most of the morning to see if I could figure out how the summit mile was going.  Apparently it was won in 4:48 by Scott Dahlberg.  4:48 at 14k feet.  SICK.

This gets my HR up more than any workout.

photo

No comments:

Post a Comment