Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wednesday 082813

No pre line celebrations …

Little bit of chatter that this year’s Pikes Marathon was the closest winner finish ever .  With 23 seconds between newcomer Miyahara and second place Nichols, it is close.  2005 was closer between Italian Dapit and local kid Burrell (12 seconds).  On the women’s side, last year’s finish had Forsberg and Enman finishing only 18 seconds apart, but again, 2005 was closer with Favre (France) finishing on 16 seconds against local Ballengee.  So – 2005 was apparently the year for close finishes for the win. 

Why have Kenyan males outperformed their female counterparts at the World Championships whereas Ethiopian females have performed at a relatively similar level to that of Ethiopian males?  Actually the article does not really say why, but shows the disparity in Kenyan athletics.

Epstein is certainly making the podcast rounds.  Best interview I have heard with him yet though.

A newcomer and sandal runner reports on Boom Days.

PM – Green via Middle.  Pretty easy, never felt great and it was HOT so I just went mellow.  Number 48.  Not sure if I will get a 100 because that means essentially doing in the last four months what took me the first 8 to do.  Or about 13 a month, or 3 a week.  I only really only have 10 weeks left in the year (because of travel), so I have to 52 more in those 10 weeks or pull off about 5 a week.  I could do that, but my interests are elsewhere right now.  Still expect to get a few more though.

I am not nearly the sprint fan that I am distance fan but this vid from Bolt is pretty good.

Another KJ vid from Brett.  This one is actually not that good in terms of KJ … its actually better about the guy filming it. 

The average joe has no idea how fit or freakish guys like KJ are.  People have seriously asked if I am training for the Olympics when I am LIGHT years away from that.  I tried to explain it that if I was in 5:00 mile shape, the guys going to the Olympics could do that for 26 miles.  And the medalists are closer to 4:45 mile shape for a marathon.  So they were at least 26x more fit than me.

Early evening … 8 x 30 second stride sprints … with JZ getting a lead.  I figure he is about 1000 days out from where I need the lead.  But not today little man.  Not today.  2.5 miles. 

3 comments:

  1. The sad thing is that I could start the Boston Marathon fresh at the 25 mile mark when the leaders came through and I would get crushed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Khannouchi did the last two miles at Chicago when he set the record right near 9 minutes.

      Delete