Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sunday 030214

RRR: We might go to this next weekend.  It would be good to see the movie on Scooter’s adventure FKT nuttiness.  Or we might be doing some camping stuff with the Scouts and won’t go… How good is CU distance running right now?  Well, they have certainly had faster guys at their top end but their current depth is unparalleled… NYT piece on antidoping research.  … Most of the DQ nuttiness from indoors a few weeks ago has subsided (although Bumby is still working through an unnecessary DQ).  In reading about that, I found a pointer to the 10000m from 1964.  Check out the contact in that video that had NO DQs in it. Ghamoudi karate chops Clarke at 23 seconds in and no one says crap about it (and that is appropriate). 

NRR :  Things I am supposed to know in my 40s.  JZ had me cracking up at this.

Afternoon, 10.1 miles, relaxed to steady.  Ran in these shoes for the first time.  Decent.  Calf still doing well.  The week raps up at 51.7.  Happy to get back at it a bit with the calf healing up, and working through a travel week.  What I am getting back it for remains to be determined … but exercise and head clearing was the order for today.

A bit ago I think I saw Lucho post that his favorite U2 album was The Joshua Tree.  I saw U2 in New Haven on that tour (amazing – small venue for them really) my senior year of high school.  The album though that really pushed U2 over the top for me was The Unforgettable Fire. I actually started a bit earlier with U2 with War while delivering newspapers, but the hook was really set with Fire.  I recall listening to that in the summer after my sophomore year, sweltering in the humidity post a “long” five mile run, falling asleep on the back porch with the hum of “4th of July” and “Bad” lulling me into a dream.  Bono and The Edge do their think but I think the bass and drums really carry that album in a subtly powerful way.

When Lucho mentioned Joshua Tree, I went looking for that CD.  After I found it, I realized, I never had Fire on CD.  I had only had it on tape.  It was a time in between when things were on tape for your car, and your Walkman, but on CD for the home system. I could not run with my Sony Walkman really.  When I ran with it, the motion of running would cause the tape to warble.  But I listened to it anyway.

The tape is long lost now, so I did a quick visit to the Itunes store and dropped the 9 bucks for a trip down memory lane.  That might be what I paid for the tape (maybe even more?) in 85.

I could still hear the warble in my head even though I listened to it on the phone today.

Album has staying power.  KZ was singing with it in the car today.

3 comments:

  1. U2 as sung by Carolla: "Bucka bucka bucka, bucka bucka bucka bucka bucka"

    RRR, I know you don't mean Rim to Rim to Rim, the only other stand in meaning I know of is Run Rabbit Run, but that is in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I thought that I had used it enough that it was known somewhat now (running related reading).

      Ace is great on some stuff but he is an idiot on some stuff too.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, RRR. Now I remember. I just have the big ditch on the brain I guess. Ace likes U2 I think, he just pokes fun. Funny though.

      Delete