Friday AM – chugged through 3 whole flippin’ miles before heading into the office. I was just beat. It was a great week for work, but I was definitely tired from the effort of the travel, and being a bit more on point day after day.
Mid day, headed back to CO. Wheels down at 4:30, back home at 5:30, and then off to camping with JZ, the Scout crew, and KZ (guest appearance) at the annual Turkey Dutch Oven campout. This is an “over the top” campout where in addition to camping, a full Thanksgiving dinner is pulled off from our Green Monster tent – serving 130 folks in the historical Fort Lupton. Along the way there is the typical tug of war, wood branding, black powder rifle shooting, tomahawk tossing, orienteering and geocaching and other typical Scout type events.
No running on Saturday as I was engaged with that event all day. Probably fine because my right calf felt a bit tweaked on Thursday and Friday anyway. Sunday we broke the whole affair down and had it all stowed back at the troop shed by noon.
Looks like there was a fire north of Boulder …
This week comes to a skidding close with only 34 and change miles. That is the work travel week in the mix but …it ought to leave me recharged but it doesn’t I thought I’d get a nice relaxing couple of hours of running this afternoon, but I just felt sluggish and the right calf seemed to be more aggravated. Sort of feels like what I did to it in the USATF race in February, except I have not been running that hard. I can’t even figure out what caused it this time. Maybe that stupid leg flexing I do when I sleep? So I run a 90 mile week and feel fine … I run a 30 mile week and I feel like I am falling apart. Might be time to hit the gym.
This past week is one that leaves me questioning if I can swing a Leadville next year. This year has been 80 days in a hotel (although 11 of that is personal and not work), and another 15 in a tent. When I look at the work calendar for the year, along with other family obligations – it is hardly ideal for training. I think I can handle the training for Leadville. But I just don’t know if I can accomplish it to the degree I want with the other choices I have made. I just don’t know yet. This past week and how I feel today is not a good indicator that I can.
News stuff (way behind because of work, life): JJ has a good post (some might call it a rant) on a recent race mishap; I had no idea that Skurka had been that fast in HS; impressive 22 laps of Sanitas in 22 hours and change; US women are having a kick ass year in the marathon; a path to get your own burro; and yes the number of ultras are growing.
You still got two miles more on the week than I did and that is with a 15+ miler thrown in on Thurs. (though I did have 15,371 vert.).
ReplyDeleteYeah, funny on Skurka, he comes off as some sort of uber hiker, but then he casually rattles off 14:?? 5k PRs and the like. Dude can run when he puts his mind to it.
he looked pretty damn fit at the Basic. Of course I didn't see anyone there.
DeleteOh, the fire is a controlled burn at Heil Ranch they have been chipping away at for a few weeks.
ReplyDeleteAh, explains why it was mostly white smoke.
DeleteI think Skurka ran for Duke. Not sure how he did there, but even the slow guys on D-1 teams are pretty stout.
ReplyDeleteTrue that. I hear even you were a sub 16 guy back in the days at Pitt.
DeleteSub 16 would have been big news at UConn, but I was just another bum at Pitt.
DeleteNicely played. I might have to actually tune in that deep to see if either of those squads make it to the NCAAs this year.
Delete