Thursday, September 10, 2015

Thursday 091115

About an hour of easy jogging in the afternoon.  Listened to the Elevation Trail (or started to) interview with Ian S.  Good stuff.  Lots of conversation on what I might call “expectation failure.”  In part I have wondered if Aish dropped out of Leadville because once he saw he could not win, it was not worth it to him to run 20 hours for second or third.  Not for me to say if he did or didn’t but I wonder it in the context of myself if I ever were do that race again.  I’d have an expectation of sorts to perform better than I had.  I had a benefit this year of no prior splits, and to some extent, no expectations.  If I returned, how would I feel if I got to Winfield in 10 hours instead of 9:44 or better?  The expectation seed would already be planted and it would be a new challenge to deal with how to manage the hours of a race if I were not meeting those expectations.  They talk this well on the interview.  Good stuff.

This topic has been getting some play in the ultra space.  Thoughts?

I am still catching up on the results from Beijing.  I just caught the men’s 5k where Farrah got the win. 

I watch this stuff with a skeptical eye because I have become so jaded on if these guys are doping or not.  But it is a race, and it is interesting to watch the race and the tactics anyway.  Farrah sitting on the back through a 4:48 (that is the leader not him) mile where he actually jogs off to the side to get water in lane 8 … damn.  And then he decides to play the field at 2400 meters to break it up.  Fun watch (although the homer nature of the Brit announcers gets to be a bit much).  Good debate on the latest House of Run as to whether Farrah is one of the greatest given his victory list but his lack of fast times posted.

Still pretty grumpy.  Sent a note to the HS principal today grumping that the football field lights were on at 3PM.  Maybe I am grumpy not because of the hundred, but because I am not running so much these days.  I need to get my head on right.

12 comments:

  1. I'm so tired of the overdone sensitivity in EVERYTHING. I seriously worry during every show that I'm going to hurt someone's fragile feelings or ego. I'm concerned so much all the time by my choice of words now, that I've noticed it's affected the way I communicate.
    People are seriously making a big deal about that crappy ad? If they have a problem with the ad, then write directly to Flora instead of narcissistically blathering on in social media with their holy, bloated opinion about the injustice and inequality of people who choose to (and got paid to) pose for it.
    I'm off to the gym to look at girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Setting the timer to see how long it takes before you decide to remove this comment for the very thing you are concerned about.

      Delete
    2. I only delete comments that might hurt a specific person's feelings.

      Delete
    3. I am working my way through the podcast and I just heard your reference to me and round numbers. For what it is worth, I am not offended. I have been guilty of that, but probably not as much as I may have been in the past. My training log shows that. At the same time, I have recognized that measures are some method to help move to some goal. I recognize that no single measure - like weekly mileage - is an absolute end, but in a broader system, it is part of the process.

      But in any case - I don't find your feedback offensive ... I see it as thoughtful and that you actually care. I recognize I am pretty thick skinned and that I have some habits that are less likely to change, but I have come to some terms with that. Your feedback on my Leadville performance had some valid points ... at the same time I am not sure I get the math to bring me to 19 hours there (particularly when I consider the performances of others). I put it on balance.

      Delete
    4. I always think about the time we ran together and when we got to the parking lot you said we had 9.7 miles (or something like that), so we had to run a quick out and back for an even 10.

      Delete
    5. Haha. Yeah, I remember that. Vista off 93 or near there. Yeah, there is still that part of me that does that sort of thing. If I see 5.18 on the GPS, I will go the extra 104 feet to get it to 5.2. But I am less likely to make it six these days.

      Delete
    6. I recall you slipping and wiping out around a corner and I was like, "see, that's a sign you shouldn't round up numbers for no reason!" Getting in the low 19 hrs at Leadville is a no brainier for both of us. No doubt in my mind at all.

      Delete
    7. I can see it as a possibility, but I am probably not as confident about it as you are. In part I feel that way because I see only 9 folks broke 20 this year ... and I see the folks who did not ... and finished well ahead of me, and have stronger running resumes, including some pretty damn strong ultra experience (e.g. Sweeney, Curtis).

      Delete
  2. who wants to see more pics of ultrarunners running? they men walking shoeless looked like a movie cover or something and was just a nice runningless ad featuring runners. and though they are often in the media I don't remember any other specific ads with any of these women in them. I did remember this one because I thought, "that's a bit weird" and "crazy, they got these 3 to do this together. it was probably kind of fun for them." So, while I am not running out for some snake oils the ad "stuck" which is an accomplishment in itself if I understand marketing.

    Flora's response is not very corporate weenie (in a instance were weenie-istic wording would probably be best suited) but hey it's their brand they can do as they wish. to just assume that they would be overly apologetic and then hold fundraisers for women athletic scholarships or something is very 2015.

    i agree with Footfeathers re the overblown sensitivity and narcissistic rant ("reason I would not be sponsored by them"!!! what!?) to the masses. It's way out of hand and just seems to get worse. that said what Trump is doing (insensitive, thoughtless swings and blows at everything) is too far on the other side of the spectrum.

    I hadn't seen Farah's race. Wow. the skepticism sure sucks the fun out of it as you mentioned. Reavis had a good post that touched on this well (but was a total downer to read). I am sure you saw it: http://tonireavis.com/2015/09/08/the-new-age-of-guilt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the Reavis article. Sadly, I have become jaded in the sport that I consider most of the top talent guilty ... it is almost easier to consider that ... or at least it leads to less disappointment.

      Delete
  3. I was talking to Erik Frank - the TM for Mizuno who crewed for Aish at LT - the other day. Erik said that when Aish got to Mayqueen, he was so beat up mentally being in whatever place he was at that point, that it just seemed pointless to keep going. His goal was to win, there was no purpose any longer. He was having some pretty severe stomach issues, I guess. Erik said he's looking at races though, so I guess he has some unfinished business left....somewhere.

    I see you on GC that you're running some and it looks like things are slowing coming back. Hopefully you'll be back in full swing soon...you'll be less grumpy then, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is exactly what I expected ... if you have particular expectations for a race, and it is unfolding - especially in a 100 - that you will not meet those, it is hard to stay on the red line.

      Delete