Good read on making your own fuel from Andy.
Reading a bit on grit and social IQ today.
AM – started with the AM jog with TZ, then added on my own. These jogs end up being a little over an hour these days, with it averaging on whole around 10 minute pace and the stuff that I am doing sitting somewhere between 8:30 and 10:00. There is still some fatigue in the legs. I’d describe it as a lack of “pop” but I am not concerned about it. I am running more for my head, almost prayer like reasons, and am certainly not training at this point.
My stomach is back and I have been eating a lot. And having a good amount of beer too. Last night I went over to Four Noses and got a beer. The food truck was shutting down and they just came in and gave me and the guy I was there with a couple of pounds of brisket each … not that much came home.
While I am not training much … this might be the next game.
Someone at work asked me if I’d be a coach and what my coaching philosophy would be. The more I watch who I consider to be good coaches at work, the more I think it is about being some sort of therapist versus being some master of physiology. I’d hazard a guess that you could probably throw almost any training scheme at most people and they probably improve. Sure, you could absolutely pick better systems, and certainly be more likely to improve the athlete with a process that fits that particular athlete … but that sort of ties back to managing the muscle above the neck anyway.
But if I were focused solely on just the training element versus the head, I’d generally keep it simple to a.) run more b.) have a long run, c.) have a run of sustained effort of 20 minutes or more d.) run reps of about 3 minutes e.) run strides and f.) everything else you do matters. The specifics of how this is mixed up on flats or hills or how much volume or how fast or back to back or whatever is the process of the individual. It depends on what they are preparing for, what their athletic history is, how much time a person has, how prone they are to injury, and what they are willing to commit to. Preparing a HS kid to run a 5k for XC as a sophomore is different than preparing a middle age person to break an hour at the Bolder Boulder which is different than preparing someone for Pikes or whatever other event you want. There are commonalities in aerobic development, threshold, muscular strength, endurance, speed but the mix is different. And hence it is a process to consider what system is right for you. And most important is the head. If you only have 3 hours a week to train, what you do is very different than the person who has 15 (if they can manage that).
Off to London here for a bit.
Did my first uber ride to the airport. Pretty easy and that app is slick.
Damn it, that is 3 days before I turn 40. Maybe I can change my birthday for just that race? ;o)
ReplyDeleteShad - damn it, don't you have a fake ID?
DeleteAwesome take on coaching GZ. I really agree. Now that I am coaching more and more elites, I find that everyone improves with even a semi-coherent training plan (even pros!), as long as they stay healthy. However, health is physical AND mental. Everything a coach does needs to be geared toward long-term mental and physical health!
ReplyDeleteDavid - I know you are certainly very tuned into the head space of your athletes. I am sure it is part of what makes you a great coach.
DeleteGZ, anyone who regularly reads this blog is getting more coaching than you might think you are offering. It's an inspiring and informative guide to kicking life's ass and having a good dose of fun doing it. written by a normal person (with the responsibilities of a house, family, and fulltime job) for normal people.
ReplyDeletesafe travels.
I don't really consider this a coaching blog Josh Z but thanks for the kind words. It initially was to put up a training log so that I could get feedback on my training. Now, I am less interested in that. Actually I am interested in it, but I also realize that I am pretty uncoachable and I am gonna do what I want to do anyway.
DeleteThe blog has become more of a diary of training, travel stories, family stories, pointers to various athletic stuff I read, and other things I find inspiring or humorous. I think some people interpret it as the "hey look at me" thing, or fishing for some sort of compliments but I think I'd honestly do this even if no one commented or read it.
If it helps people with their running or their real lives ... that is great. In fact, I'd love to do more stuff about family and leadership and work but that often involves that getting into matters that are a bit personal. Or if it is not personal than it becomes more a general self help thing and I am not so interested in that.
Keep living it man.
GZ, I don't consider it a coaching blog either. But, just exposing readers to a way that works for you (you're a good runner balancing a lot of stuff) and other well selected running related topics (links) on a daily basis gives us a lot to learn from. I appreciate the time you take to do it. Cheers!
Delete