Sunday, March 29, 2020

Week ending 29MAR2020

Image may contain: sky, tree, cloud, outdoor, nature and water
Monday – 10.3 miles.  Started easy but got a nice roll going later in the run.

Still trying to get on a steady habit of meditation.  I have been using the Headspace app.  Frankly I suck at it.  I know, I know, you are not supposed to judge and just “be” but frankly my ability to focus just on the breath and seeing the mind wander … not great.  This buzz box on the top of my neck is a freaking rabid squirrel that has dropped acid.   I’ll keep trying though. 

Image may contain: cloud, sky, tree, outdoor and nature 
Captured some of the stuff I have been doing on FB Live over on Youtube. 

It is a bit weird for me to be open on posting all that stuff.  I know that sounds a bit contradictory for a guy who has posted here for close to a decade and has always seemed to be quick to run to the microphone.  It is a bit different with the music.  I recognize what a hack I am there, and there is a level of permanence that comes with posting that sort of stuff. 

But it is a challenge for me.  It is challenging me musically, to be better at singing, tighter on song execution, stage presence, etc.  So it is a tool for me.  I have no designs on being a paid performer, but I enjoy performing and hopefully giving people's feed a little something different than the recent current event news. 

I had changed the permissions on this blog for a bit for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I suddenly didn't feel comfortable with the exposure of this content.  The music, the running, the family, the on-going self reflection that seems to occur without real growth or learning ... all of it.  It feels a bit narcissistic.  And honestly, it is at some point.  My larger intention may be to something else, but there is a portion of all this that is a bit of that.  I dunno.  I might change it back but for the moment, I am okay with sharing here, in the hope that folks can see something different, maybe take something that lets them know that there is extraordinary in the ordinary.

Tuesday afternoon - 10 miles with GW and SB that included 7 x 2 minutes on at 5k pace and 90 seconds off.  Of course Greg and I got a bit aggro with each other and he lit me up on number 3.  And the last couple were above 5k, but it was good.  I really did want to hit the hurt.  It felt good to feel that.  It has been a while since I have had that appetite. Strava says we hit some low five paces, and maybe even some sub 5s on occasion.  Not sure if that is right, but it was good to breathe hard.

Neighbors dropped this off.  There are good people out there.
No photo description available.

Wednesday - long day up in Edwards, CO as TZ had ACL and meniscus repair surgery.  I got out in the AM for a run along the trails up there.  11 miles super easy.
Image may contain: cloud, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

Thursday afternoon -10.2 miles.  Tired but the legs got moving okay after a bit.
Image may contain: outdoor
Thursday night was an online open mic night with Rails End.  That was fun.  A nice three hours of music and I contributed about 15 minutes. 

Friday - dead legged.  10 miles.  Slow.  Tired.
Image may contain: outdoor

Saturday - felt the need to do a workout.  Initially I really didn't want to because my legs didn't feel so hot but I just went with it.  20 minutes warming up, then 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 minutes at a tempo/fartlek pace on 2 minutes jog in between.  Finished it out with 5 minute jog, then 5 by 30 seconds strides on 90 seconds jog.

TZ’s first couple days back on recovery have been tough on her. I’ll spare her and the interweb the fun pics of the knee post op.  It ain’t pretty. 

Sunday – 10.4 miles, easy.  Coincidentally I ran into JZ about a mile into my run and two into his.  Yeah.  We did a handful together and then he peeled off. 

Not a bad week.  70 plus miles and two efforts a bit harder.  No long run, no real vertical, and the quality efforts were not “OMG hold the fence and vom” outings but there is time for that.  Good news was it was just all singles this week, and the average was better than 8s on the week.  It is the first time in a while that has happened.

I am sort of guessing Pikes is 50-50 to be cancelled at this point but I’ll go forth and train as if it is going to happen anyway.  And I think even if it is cancelled, I’ll train as much as I am able. 

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering what happened to you. Couldn’t see the blog and didn’t see much on Strava. Good to see your doing good, hopefully see you at Pikes 🤞
    Don Solberg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Don - hope you are well. Yeah, the Strava runs are private for now. And still hoping for a Pikes run where we can grind it out.

      Delete