Run was at the Marshall Mesa. I got there early. Gray skies, spitting drizzle. The Marshall Mesa is not the place you want to run under these conditions. When the mud gets wet up there, your shoes collect a clay-mud layer that is as heavy as concrete and as sticky as glue. That might make for some sort of good workout, but not for running.
I got about 12 minutes of jogging in before meeting up with the group. The group screws around WAY TOO LONG to get started. An 8 o'clock start has morphed into an 8:15 start. That is complete crap. 8:05 would be the latest. Otherwise, you are on your own and if you want to run with the group - CATCH UP.
We decided against the Mesa and headed north back to the South Boulder Creek Trail (crushed gravel, better draining). In the group were Matt H, Ewen N, Jim R, Eric G, John T, Justin M. When the hell did I become the old man in the group. I took a few splits along the creek path and the pace was 6:30-6:45. Easy, conversational, with lots of jabs at each other. I miss these runs and need to do them more often.
Guys began to peel off (heading home, etc) throughout the run, and when we got to an hour in (so close to 75 minutes for me), my legs began to protest the pace. I backed off some and let the guys go. This time. A few more weeks of this and I will enjoy the benefits. Looks like nobody did a throw down on the run, which if memory serves me well can happen. Benefit to that too.
I added on another two miles post the group run to round it out at little north of two hours, and 16 miles (+).
This was probably my most structured week in ... a very long time.
M 11m, 78 min
T 10m, 64+min (8mi tempo)
W 10 m, 75 min, w/short hill sprints
Th Green via typical route, 42+up, 27+ down, 7 miles (70 min RT)
F 10 miles, 2 x 200 at cmrp, 5 x 800 at c5krp for 5k w/2min rest, 6 x 200 at cmrp - 75 min running
Sa - AM 5 m, 42 min, PM 7 mi, 54 min
Su - 16 miles wth FF group, 2 hours
T 10m, 64+min (8mi tempo)
W 10 m, 75 min, w/short hill sprints
Th Green via typical route, 42+up, 27+ down, 7 miles (70 min RT)
F 10 miles, 2 x 200 at cmrp, 5 x 800 at c5krp for 5k w/2min rest, 6 x 200 at cmrp - 75 min running
Sa - AM 5 m, 42 min, PM 7 mi, 54 min
Su - 16 miles wth FF group, 2 hours
Week 76 miles. 576 min. 8 runs. Month 111 miles with one day off.
The structure is good for the moment. I'd like to get in another run or two for a few more miles, but darkness, life, work, etc are all imposing on my will. No sweat. I feel that if I can get in two hard sessions, a solid long run, a mountain run a week, with a minimum of 75 miles, I am holding a solid consistency and progressing towards my goals. When my mileage gets a bit north of 90, I think I am begining to compromise the quality I can do. South of 75 and I am not getting in enough consistency with the miles. Friday's workout was revealing to me. I can hold six minute pace in a 10K right now. The thing that really shows where I am lacking is my 200s! I used to be able to hit these in 30-31 no problem. In three years they have dropped to 35-36. Holy crap.
I had planned to tell Brian to advertise the time as 8 AM, leaving at 8:05 AM, 8:10 AM at the latest. This will be more important to me this winter when I get there early to put an hour in before the group. Hopefully he leaves the time at 8 AM and not 9 AM as the last few weeks have had a really solid turnout, up front anyway, thanks to Matt. It doesn't make sense to wait 5 more minutes on someone to show up, only to run 2 minutes with them before they're off the back, as the case was today on the 8:15 protestor. On the flip side, it is nice of those folks who get back early to wait around to chat post-run even though I rarely go to bfast/coffee with them.
ReplyDeletesolid week dude. your "goals" are bit fuzzy... hopefully you can read them.
ReplyDeletewhen can i get some more GZ brew?
JM - I hear ya.
ReplyDeleteJames - I put up my goals under another post. Brewing a batch right now.