Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wednesday 101508

Green.  The mountain called to me. 

Fall seems to bring out certain behavioral patterns in me.  My wonderful wife has pointed out that when these days come, PA150196I tend to a.)  grow a beard b.) drink more beer c.) want to run around in mountains even more.  This usually passes by Thanksgiving.  I am not sure if this short transformation into a hobbit - dwarf thing is genetic or what ... but I confess, it is true.  It happens. 

Today, a romp in the mountains was called for.  The mountain called to me.  George.  A late afternoon escape from the office and I was on my way to Chautauqua ((ah yes, and for those who wonder how PA150197the hell I can escape work like this - a.)  I start work early b.) I often work in the late evening and c.) I get my job done).

Green had several stretches of ... snow!  This slowed me on some of the up and on a few of the stretches of the down ... mostly where the path had been trodden into ice.  I saw today as a recovery day from yesterday's workout but  ... I am taking a different approach to these.  I can push these mountain runs a little bit if I feel up to it - as long as it does not compromise my primary workouts.  I think the stress to PA150198my legs will be not as significant in these 2500' climbs as much as an 8 mile tempo run.  I know that sounds a bit jacked but the hill serves as its own governor.  Even with some power walking in the steeper stretches of Ampi and Saddle, I reached the summit in just a few ticks below 41.  Being careful with the descent, but feeling good, and letting the super computer take over (and it was firing good today), I came down in 25:46.  After last week's RT in just over 70, I was glad to see an RT under 68 this time.

Temps were in the 50s in the sun, 40s in the shade with the snow and such.  Gorgeous day.  Gorgeous run.  I had a beer afterwards. Apparently this is the 45th time I have been up Green since last Thanksgiving (or about when I started this blog).  Not sure if I will get 52, but that may not be a bad target.  

1 comment:

  1. post run beer... perfect! about two more weeks and I will be on the same winter/running/recovery plan!

    ReplyDelete