Pressed for time and wanting a more "structured" (meaning measured) workout, I went to the mill in the office.
2 mile warmup (7:59, 7:03) and then did miles at threshold, building with half mile jogs in between. 5:43, 5:41, 5:39, 5:33, 5:23. Then warmed down with an easy mile for 10 in 67 minutes. Felt solid and I can definitely get ahead of this workout a bit more with some focus.
damn. that workout makes me want to puke. nice work
ReplyDeleteHate to tell you, but that workout indicates sub 17 shape right now!
ReplyDeleteI'd love to think so but I don't. 5:25s would be 16:55. I averaged well above that. Some work to do.
ReplyDeleteDisagree. Can't you ratchet it up a notch in a race more so than in a workout?
ReplyDeleteThat is a great question. I wondered if you were thinking that.
ReplyDeleteIn short, I find that what I do in workouts is a pretty good indicator of what I can do in a race. In other words, I don't suddenly see huge performance differences in a race over a workout. I have had, of course, my fair share of races where I have exceeded workout expectations but not hugely so (for example, I never ran a 4:30 when my workouts said I was ready to run a 4:50 mile). And of course, I have had more than my share of races where I have run worse than workouts predicted!
I realize that some of that might be mental. I have an expectation built of what I have done in a workout and I race to that expectation. Certainly some aspect of it is physical though.
I heard a Bobby McGee podcast off of Endurance Corner recently and he talked about this concept of 90-9-1. Very quickly, as I understand this ... 90 percent of us get what we train for. 9 percent of us get slightly better performance than what we train for ... or your so called "ratcheting it up." 1 percent of us race off the charts when compared to how we train.
In describing this, Bobby describes Zola Budd (you might not remember her but I do, watching her in the 84 Olympics in LA mix it up with Slaney in the 3K). She would run 1000s in 3 minutes in a workout. She would then run 8:30 in a race for 3K.
There is definitely an aspect to this that is in the head of folks. I know there are some people I get my ass kicked by all the time in training but when it comes to certain races, they have yet to beat me. The reverse is also true.
Justin's right, GZ. If he's not, you're a whimp or on race day you have perhaps the sniffles or a little ear ache. . . which means you should've stayed in bed.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work, GZ.