Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"I am going to think about that for a while..."

kara goucher post race interview ... I always find it interesting as to how folks handle pressure, success and failure.  For example, I found it very interesting before the Olympic trials (07) how Ryan Hall was placing the outcome of the race on "if it is in God's will" ... versus how Bryan Sell was saying stuff like if he did not make the team he was going "hang it up and go to dental school" (these are loose quotations).  Very different approaches there ... one was taking all the pressure off and externalizing it to some outside force, whereas another was putting it all on his shoulders.  I looked at this interview with Kara and compared it to the one of Ryan, I was struck on the same theme.  I can say that I can definitely feel for Kara ... I certainly have never been in shoes like that but you can certainly feel that she was not only racing for herself, but for her team of the US community.  Wow.  It is clear to me that some folks run on emotions a lot more than others ... and such a varying set of emotions:  passion, love, anger, fear ... I really hope the rumors of Kara running London are not true ...

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, the God angle is always interesting. I'm not religious, but if I were, I highly doubt that God is deciding the outcomes of races.

    If he were, Lance Armstrong (Atheist) would not have won 7 Tour de France's in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea its just silly (my opinion) for people to thank God after the end of the game for a victory.

    God is not Jim Carrey.

    On a side note, I think Kara's race tactics were spot on perfect. You don't want to leave a kick to a 10 person field. And as a person with great 10k speed, you also don't want to start out pushing the pace the first half of the marathon if you don't have to.

    She just went wide on the second to last turn and there was no way to make up 50 feet over 1/2 mile when the other 2 are neck and neck killing each other almost literally.

    She wanted it bad, but you can't get that extra 1/10th of a gear if you are not 100 feet from the finish about to kill yourself to get 1 inch faster than the person next to you for the win.

    Tune' went to the hospital for her efforts trying to win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett,

    I heard that initially her condition was Dire, but that with some fluids, she was back in Tune.

    Ha, stole that one from LetsRun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara is not running London. But it took her coach quite a bit of begging to talk her out of it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad she is not running. I think that would have been a disaster in the making.

    ReplyDelete