The calf was probably 50 percent better than yesterday. I could have run today. But I chose not too. Well, mostly. I sniffed it out a bit with a easy 10 minute jog with the dog (I tried to get the kids to jog with me but they were not so interested today). Anyway, the calf is quite a bit better. But I still may take another day or two off it, and at best definitely keeping it pretty light on it. Had tentative plans to run with FastEddy tomorrow, but I will have to scratch on that.
Anyway, I recall recently telling someone who was dealing with an injury to be chill – as they were fit. And if they needed something to do, they should do core until they puke. (Photo from the Incline Club with its founding father in the position of honor).
Brilliant. These words have a way of sitting in the back of your head, worming their way to the front of your skull when you face similar conditions. Like today, as I was not running.
I ain’t going to lie. I have not been doing crap for cross training, core, stretching, calisthenics, etc. Nope. I have been running. I’d rather be running than doing that stuff. And when done running, heading for a brew (this time of the year). But today, I was not running.
I worked from home in the afternoon, and thought I should have hit the office instead to get the bike… Nah … So core it was. Push ups, planks, crunchs, lifts, myrtle, blah, blah, blah. I did not puke, but I did do well or last long, and I had that woosey “aw crap, really?” feeling you get in your arms, legs, and hips after a good go of core for … well, a period a lot less of what it should have been. Too embarrassed to post.
Hmm, maybe the running gods decided I needed to focus on core, struck up a voodoo doll of my fine figure and put a needle in my right calf. By setting me back, perhaps they forced me to see a weakness I really need to work on? Either that or I need a big dose of testemaxzzz.
More seriously … I need to incorporate this crap into my life a lot more so that it is a habit. I have made it a habit that it is not. Plus apparently this guy is doing a hundred push ups a day.
Hang nine and live it. If you ain’t livin’ then yer dyin’ …
Bob and I will be doing a bit of vertical on (mostly) dry dirt tomorrow if you change your mind...
ReplyDeleteDr. Phil on line 1...
ReplyDeletedo it. core work will keep strong. it's not just about running... but life...
ReplyDeleteStep it up! 22oz curls post gnarly core work-out. Get it, dog.
ReplyDeleteYou could take a week off and still be ready to throw down.
Have a great weekend.
GZ, it is so easy to dole out injury advice when you are feeling good, but it always seems to be so different when it happens to yourself. Sucks. I was just having the same thoughts about a month ago.
ReplyDeleteHope you heal up soon and good luck with the core work. I wish I had the self discipline, but I just don't like it.
If you want to go easy (that is about all I am doing now), or maybe get on the bikes for another trip up Flagstaff ;), keep me in the loop.
(late post)
ReplyDeleteI'm in the same boat... I really need to work on core more and it's always in the back of my mind... but everytime I go to the gym with my wife (she loves her elliptical)... I always find an open 'mill... so there I go, jumping on it and running until she's done.
i've been trying to make it a habbit to do push ups and several types of abs in the morning but it only happens about once every three weeks. needs to happen everyday!
like i said, same boat...