More snow. It has been snowing for at least 48 hours straight, but it is really fine, and low accumulation. We have maybe 3 or 4 inches. In any case, I elected to go with the mill this AM to get something a bit more controlled. Within the first half mile, I could tell I was feeling pretty decent and so slowly upped the pace. The first mile was 8:34. I evened with an average of 7 minute pace at 7.5 miles, and finished 13 in 87:12 - again feeling pretty controlled, and never over the top (HR never went over 168) - so was hitting a lot of low mid sixes in the latter half.
Decent week: 90 miles on seven days over 10 runs. Slow long run yesterday but I got the work in. Today was more of the classic building threshold run versus a tempo, but no matter - I felt good to get it the day post a long run (no major fatigue from that). Good work mid week with some good speed intervals (albeit on the mill with this weather). No doubt the hardest stuff for me right now was the hill intervals on the mill at the higher grade. They left me a bit worked in the calves.
February is 250 miles, year is 609 miles. Week is 743 minutes, year is 4996 minutes.
Solid, maestro.
ReplyDeleteAny word on the OB IPA?
This is solid ... http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/2010/02/weekly-summary-february-15-21.html
ReplyDeleteThat's one of those put this in your pipe and smoke it links.
ReplyDeleteThat is impressive (about 5x my mileage this week) but pretty pedestrian for Anton. Here's a quote from his report on LT100 '07:
ReplyDelete"I trained like a demon: the five weeks before I began my one week taper for the race [Leadville] I logged over 1000 miles and many, many, many, hours of running, including one seven day stretch right before my taper that was over 36 hours and almost 240 miles of running, much of it over 10,000'."
240 miles in 7 days. That's training, not just some wacky one-time stunt.
I used to read his Athleticore log a couple times a week (sometimes daily) and was inspired to get out the door constantly.
See you guys next month.
Footfeathers
for a visit or longer?
ReplyDeleteGZ - with you on the tired of snow bit. Old for sure. I just don't know how you gut that stuff out on the treadmill - I would lose my mind! Good training though - keep it up.
ReplyDeleteSteve
good work... no interest in running in the snow?
ReplyDeleteword verification: tricali
weird!
Long visit.
ReplyDeleteJW - occasionally I dig it (Fri, Sat), but less so when I want to get after it.
ReplyDeleteFootfeathers - excellent!
Tim,
ReplyDeleteYes, but a couple things regarding my past training:
1) I broke my foot immediately after Leadville that year (only stress fracture I've had since switching to minimal footwear six years ago--after having 13 other SFs in the previous nine years).
2) I was doing significantly less vertical than now.
3) I was younger, dumber, and more selfish. I hope that I am now--gasp--older, a bit wiser, and a little more balanced.
Last summer's LT100 was supposed to be a personal confirmation that I could still run a very fast 100 off of "only" 150ish mile weeks (with a couple 180s, for good measure). Despite how we all know that turned out, I've resolved to stick with my "new", more reasonable approach...;)
Tony
Hey Tony (sorry GZ that we're using your white space for conversation)
ReplyDeleteIt's all relative, which is what I was trying to say earlier. You're "reasonable" approach (143 mpw) would leave most (especially me) crying in bed yelling for morphine.
I'm really pleased to see you training with a better balance and long term approach. I would've put up my grandma in a bet that you were going to run 15:30 at LT last year and am looking forward to your accomplishments this season. Great to hear you're feeling well and motivated.
Tim
Tim - I am actually rather honored. What I love about Tony's realization is this: so many folks' journies are similar. The numbers might be different (with Tony on a rare high end), but the realization of what works for an individual is definitely one of those common threads.
ReplyDelete