3 mile warm up - real easy. I kept feeling the leg out, trying to assess what state it was in. Jogging here was probably near 10 minute pace. Again I passed up on strides, figuring that there was no need, and it was more risky to pop something faster.
I got out okay, relaxed, and nearly off the back with a crowd of guys going out fast. I did not have a real race plan given the hamstring tendon, but I figured I ease into things and see if things with open up, and hopefully if things went well, then I could roll up in the later laps.
I was a bit behind Peter Hegelbach at about a half mile in, and I eased up to him at about the kilometer distance. Way off in the distance, I could see my other team mates. Well ahead, but visible at this point in the race. I felt very comfortable, unpressed, and easy.
Photos from Michael Scott:
Through some of the very small but roller hills Peter put a little gap on me and I let it go. I did not want to spike anything with unnecessary surges. The hammie at this point felt fine, as I hoped it would. Sometimes when you get into a race, regular aches and pains disappear under the stress of a race.
Peter continued to gap a bit as we went into the second lap, but not dramatically so. I felt that he’d be close through the race at this point and I felt well positioned to pick things up over each lap. I was picking up some guys who had gotten out significantly quicker than me.
At about three kilos though, things began to go south. I could the hammie quiver, as I loaded the leg up. It would let go, but then I’d hit it again. The calf tightened in response. I suddenly felt as if I was running on one leg. I slowed up.
Peter pulled away. A parade of guys began to go by me, including the ones I had just passed the mile before. I had little fight for anyone passing – as soon as I pushed over that line, the leg would bark more.
After the race, I felt like I had not raced. In other words, I did not have that fatigue you have in your core after you run hard – particularly after you race. You know that you were not able to tap deep and that is a bit frustrating.
The team did well however with the guys pulling in the second team spot. I did slow jogging throughout the rest of the afternoon as we watched the remaining races (juniors, open)– again at 10 minute pace as this seemed to not bother me at all. 13 miles on the day.
31:30 for 8k. 75th place over all.
For what it is worth, my pace per mile here on a 5 mile cross country course was slower than my pace per mile at the October Rock and Roll Denver Half Marathon. And I am pretty sure this is also another PW for this time. Two PWs in two races back to back (this and the Oatmeal Festival). More on that later. I am not bummed because this was a mechanical, and arguably I probably should have run, but I ain’t “fine with it” either.
Spent the evening in the hotel bar with the team enjoying a good number of Stone IPA’s.
I don't get this XC stuff (who runs on grass?) but props to you for making the trip, running the race and spending a weekend doing what you love to do everyday. Now, come back home. You are scaring the kids there with that facial hair. Bring me an In-N-Out too.
ReplyDeleteI had a Stone double bastard in your honor.
ReplyDeleteXC ... believe it or not, it is the roots for many of us (as that is what started with in school). But these golf course runs are a bit funny.
ReplyDeleteStone D.B. - careful P., the significant other does not like the results.