AM – 2 mile warm up, then ~20 minute tempo (6:20 pace), mile jog over to BHS and then 8 x 200 meters there. Fair progress here: I was about 20 seconds faster at this today (as I am using a measured course) with an AHR about 5 beats lower for the tempo. Managed the 200s starting at 39 and working them down to 36. 9 miles on the day.
Listened to an interview with Phil Maffetone (MAF guy).
I am interested in doing this as it is local and via Broomfield Rec. I’d like to do it with my daughter, but there is a 16yo age limit on it (checking on that).
Week = 72 miles, 9.75 hours, 4000 vertical
March = 62 miles, 8.5 hours, 3.5k vertical
2011 = 675 miles, 100 hours, and 60k vertical.
Alternative exercise – at the rec center today I was able to assure I got my hour of alternative exercise for the week. I did a circuit with KZ (she was showing me what they suggested they do) and then added on some tris, abs, and leg work.
Decent week. Still feeling a bit pressed for time, and have not yet made it a habit to get up early for doubles – and frankly, I am not sure that will occur before April. Wanted to maintain the discipline of getting after it a bit a couple of times a week and was able to do that a bit with Simms on Tuesday, the down wind quarters on Thursday, and the workout today. Got some feedback this week that I am mulling over a bit. The first was that I ought to focus on three workouts a week and never miss those – no matter what. The second was that I have done enough base work here for a bit and it is really time for me to start killin’ it.
In regards to the three workouts, I am not sure I could outright say “every Tuesday I am going to do 5 by a mile blah blah blah.” First, my schedule does not always allow that. Second, there are some days I feel mentally I am ready to get after a workout, but I know my body is not. As an example, yesterday I was ready in my head to get after it but my legs felt like crap. So I ran easy.
But I like what this thought represents – what three things am I going to get after regularly? I would say it comes to these three for me (at least today): A flat turnover workout, a mid shorter hill workout, and a longer run (and probably with hills and altitude as the summer progresses). The flat turn over workout: could be classic track, could be a 20 minute tempo, could be a minute on, minute off. It can't be the treadmill. I think the best one for me here (at least today) it would be 5-6 mile repeats, but it has to mix in some faster than 5k pace stuff (so strides, or 200s, 400s). These force me to run at a pace above what I am currently comfortable with, and run quicker when I am tired. Today’s tempo was an example of this. The mid shorter hill workout: I see this as an effort up Shadow or Green or Lindens. I think the best on this for me (at least today) would be up Green would be Gregory, Ranger, GREENMAN or maybe Long Canyon. Another option would be these Simms Hills I do. The longer run is stuff like getting up to Lucho’s place, or to Mosquito Pass or the Skyline Traverse. More generally, I don’t think I need to worry about mileage for mileage sake, and I think I can be fine off the periodic long run (maybe every couple, three weeks) .
KZ is sitting here tonight listening to Jimmy Buffett. And enjoying it. JZ has been digging Kevin Reeves.
20+ hrs? Wow.
ReplyDeleteAck. Typo. Corrected. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteGeorge: It seems you and I (and lots of other dedicated runners) really struggle to get in the miles and quality while still remaining dedicated to the job and, most importantly, the family. Somehow it all gets done and the lawn gets mowed, too. Not easy though.
ReplyDeleteLook forward to a hard Green Mountain ascent with you this spring.
Wyatt
Oh - I am not sure I would use the word "struggle." There are some days it is a little harder than others, but frankly - it is mostly about how disciplined I choose to be. And frankly, I enjoy the choices I have made that got me here.
ReplyDeleteMy run yesterday *could* have been a 20 miler. If I chose to get up earlier. If I chose to spend less time with the crumb grabbers in the AM. Instead, I slept in a bit, got a shorter run in, made them breakfast, headed out to the sporting goods store to stock up on baseball and soccer gear, then hit a baseball practice, then to the rec center with them. Then we had dinner (stir fry) and did some music together in the evening. Nothing spectacular, just average stuff and - I loved it.
I am glad I get to run with all that.
The choices - rings true. Training and "life" are similar...the more you train yourself to do, the more you adapt to the increased workload, the more you're capable of doing. As I have stuffed more and more and more into my schedule, I've realized I haven't really gotten any "busier", I think how busy you feel never changes. Not sure how much sense that makes, other than I never in a million years thought I'd be able to work longer hours, raise a kid by myself, and still get in enough mileage to not suck. Good to see others who make it work.
ReplyDeleteSean - sub 2:40.
ReplyDelete