Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thursday 032411

We headed over to Salt River Fields this AM to actually catch practice.  Not a game.  Practice.  There are something like a dozen fields around the main field here, and they were filled with a variety of big show-ers, AAA, AA guys doing everyhing:  bp, fielding, running, etc.  I managed to grab two balls that were hit out by some of the big guys and get those for the kids (nice score for the Dad stock), and then the kids got Willy Taveras to sign up a couple of balls.  They were pretty stoked.

IMG-20110324-00191 IMG-20110324-00195

For what it is worth, it was sort of better than a game.  Got to chat up some elements of practice with JZ, closer access to the players, good stuff.

Afterwards we went to lunch at Golden Corral.  My kids have informed me this is the best restaurant ever.  EVER.

Evening – got out and about four and a half miles in, I actually found a trail into National Forest, off of Power Road, Bush Hwy.  It was nice to suddenly be off road and in the rolling decomposed granite, and saguaro cactus.  Pretty damn awesome actually. 10+ miles and tempo’d the last 20 minutes or so.  Felt good, but that might be that I was off yesterday, or that I am only at 1500 feet here in Mesa.

8 comments:

  1. My kids are right there with yours on the GC... Eat whatever you want, whenever you want.. eat ice cream until you explode.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Golden Corral buffet is pretty epic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago when I was in Anchorage for work, I asked the local contact where I could get some good dinner. Of all the restaurants in Anchorage, she recommended Golden Corral. I've still never been to one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're talkin' about practice? That's pretty cool that you were able to get up close and personal. We have a few minor league parks around here that are like that, even on game day. And tickets are like 6 bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I managed to grab two balls."

    Did you really have to go all the way to Arizona to do that? And then your Willy signed the two of them? Its hard for me to keep up here.

    Golden Corral has to be one of the top restaurants ever for an endurance athlete. Its all you can eat, and its every possible kind of food ever conceived. And you can actually eat very healthy there if you want. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All - I enjoyed the chicken livers at GC today. Really.

    Not my favorite but the kids did not even need dinner tonight.

    Brett - I actually thought "Brett ain't gonna let this fly" as I typed it up.

    Kevin - yeah, just practice. Not the game. Yeah, it is very small feel but still a bit big timey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will you be haeding up to Sedona or Flagstaff?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probably not this go around.

    ReplyDelete