Breaking news: too much exercise is bad for you. I am so stoked to hear this one brought up at the next neighborhood party.
Windy when I headed out:
Headed over to the new Meadowlark Trail – which is off McCaslin, at the Coalton Trailhead (just south of Louisville, west of Superior). Thinking that if I do the Bear from door route, I would head through Carolyn Holmberg/Lac Amora, into Flatirons Mall, into the trails in Superior, then head over to this trail to pick up the connector to Mayhoffer-Singletree (then to Community Ditch and then then dropping into Eldo via Dowdy Draw … ish). Great views up there on this trail. But a bit windy. Think I saw Peter Bawkin out there (the guy who did the Hardrock-Rockhard gig a few years ago). Slow moving today as I worked out yesterday’s workout and the dealt with the wind. 12 miles.
Listened to a good interview with Billy Mills.
Beer is the great equalizer I'm convinced.
ReplyDeleteLOL..."scientists prodded young, healthy male rats to run at an intense pace, day after day, for three months, which is the equivalent of about 10 years in human terms."
ReplyDeleteSo they jammed 10 years worth of running in to 3 months and the rats were effed up!?!? Golly, ya think.
After the 2004 Hawaii Ironman I had a resting pules over 100 for a week and it took 4 weeks before it dropped back down <50.
Meanwhile, the folks who didn't have fibrosis died several years earlier than the folks with healthier lifestyles.
ReplyDeleteThere are always people who treat their bodies like crap who live to 100 and there are always people who live very healthy who die at 30.
All this study did was find that one group had a higher level of one kind of risky symptom than the other. It did nothing ultimately correlate longevity.
I NEVER swim. So by definition, people who swim for exercise have a much higher liklihood of drowning than I do. How is it possible that expert swimmers could have a higher chance of drowning than someone who never swims? Because my ass never gets in the pool.
The more churches there are in a town, the higher the number of murders and rapes. How is that possible? Simply put, the higher the population of a city, the more churches there are generally (and post offices, and libraries, and grocery stores, and movie theatres, etc.). The higher a population, the higher the number of crimes.
Statistics is worthless if you don't treat it the right way. Can endurance athletes tolerate a higher level of fibrosis than non-athletes? Their study leaves a lot to be desired.
I want to sue someone. Who is the bastard that is letting me do all this exercise? Damn it. There ought to be a law.
ReplyDeleteGZ - No kidding.
ReplyDeleteRealistically, is there any reason why the heart should NOT suffer some wear and tear? Would that be a huge surprise?
At the same time, I would also not be surprised to find out that carb loading done and the sugars some athletes seem to consume is problematic.
Studies like that have too many uncontrolled variables. Researchers can't even get dietary studies right, let alone exercise and diet.
GZ - "There ought to be a law" - Oh, no. I'm not going there again ;)
ReplyDeleteYou know the best part of livin' ... is livin.'
ReplyDeleteI say you right through the mall.
ReplyDeleteFood court = aid station
ReplyDeleteGZ- exactly. Quality of life is better than quantity I think. I've managed to squeeze ~60 years of living in to my 40 years.
ReplyDeleteAnd Brett is spot on too.
What a bunch of bunk. It would have been better to name the article: "Too much exercise has not been a big problem in America" which was the the only useful quote in the story. I guess that wouldn't sell papers/get hits though; better to give people an exciting validation for not working out.
ReplyDeletei will not ever understand our obsession with longevity. perhaps the single greatest waste of time in existence.
ReplyDelete