Slept in. Needed it.
Sub 70 minute masters at MW via DD. Note – DD calls it sub 1:10. There is large debate amongst folks if that is said “one ten” or “seventy.” Typically runners, or folks with a track background go with “seventy.” Other smirk at this and go with the “one ten.” I almost got into a braut slapping fight regarding this contentious and important topic over the weekend, but given it was Father’s Day we decided to leave that for another day.
Good pre race prognostication re: WS.
Looking to get a touch more vertical in the next day or two because then I am off the Middle East for the week – and sea level. Given it will be hot, I will be working a lot, and out of my familiar element, I fully expect the mileage, vertical and time spent running will be less. In light of that, I am going to look to treat next week as a short, hard, flat week – making the most of quality in those miles as I can.
I am completely opposed to this parking fee program at these trailheads. I fully expect this program not to be phased out as a pilot for these three trailheads as a possiblity described, but rather to be expanded more and more to the OSMP lots.
JZ and a buddy of his had a sleep over last night and decided they wanted to tent out in the backyard. Sounds good. Told them they had to have the tent set up though before the sprinklers went off in the back yard … which gave them about seven minutes. They had it up, rain fly on, on a tarp and were in it before the sprinklers started pelting it. Of course I forgot to turn them off and so they automatically cycled again through the middle of the night … but the boys were dry.
Apparently Texas owns Pikes.
I have a few non running friends who read this blog and wonder what the whole ultra thing is about. This is a perfect summary.
One hour, 10 minutes.
ReplyDeleteHeaded to the Middle East? Saudi Arabia or what?
4.2 million milli-seconds.
ReplyDeleteAin't no track on MW.
ReplyDeleteSeventy.
ReplyDelete...best...video...ever...
ReplyDeleteWhere is the cut-off (in your mind) for switching minutes to hours? Your 1/2M listed time for RnR is 80. I have a vague notion that the cut-off is somewhere in the low 80's, as recreational runners (like myself) are likely to say "sub-1:30" but I don't ever hear "90."
ReplyDeleteIt comes from quarters on the track. So, thankfully, I have had to worry about values from sub 60 to sub 90. So yeah - I think you are right. It would be weird to say 100s.
ReplyDeleteI ran san diego 100 in 1366 and will probably take 2000 to run hardrock. would love to go sub 2000.
ReplyDeleteThis goes back a ways for me. In HS a 5 minute mile was all about four 75s. I got pretty obsessed for a bit about running 75s for 2 miles for a while there.
ReplyDeleteSo on the track, doing a mile, you try to go through the 800 in 150, the 1200 in 225 and try to go sub 300?
ReplyDeleteNo it is a one lap per lap thing silly.
ReplyDeleteBut yes on the 800. 150 would be sweet.
ReplyDeleteHa! That's funny, I hadn't thought of that. But a 150 on the way to a 5:00 mile is a bit of a positive split.
ReplyDeleteSo to be clear. You call a 1:15 400 a 75... and then skip that method for everything in between up to the 1/2 marathon? So it's just 400m and 13.1 miles.
This just ain't me. Look at this article from last night's 10k. http://running.competitor.com/2011/06/news/flanagan-dominates-womens-10000-meters_30606
ReplyDeleteI think it originates in the mile really. And I think it is because if you were the guy calling splits, you'd be there counting 58, 59, 60 ... and you would not go over to 1:01, but just keep going to 61, etc.
Not saying it is logical but that is how they raised me.
You are one hundred percent correct on the 1/4 mile splits, totally a track thing.
ReplyDeleteWhere in the middle east? It has been 110-115 the last three days in Tikrit Iraq (Sadam's hometown) which is 170K north of Baghdad (Bagh-Nasty).
BUT, it really cools off for running before 6:30am and it is SO dry. 95 in the south east US is way worse than 115 in the northern half of Iraq.
I have a feeling you won't be in my neck of the... desert.
Yeah - I am going to be a way from that. In Tel Aviv (as of tomorrow night). How long you deployed for?
ReplyDelete1:10 or 70 seems alot like $9.99 or $10.00.
ReplyDelete6 Months
ReplyDeleteJust in time for us to get frost on our faces again!
ReplyDelete