Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday 090211

Travelled back from Vancouver today.  I got a a gift on the flight home:  a whole row to myself.  I don’t think I have seen this on an airline flight in at least a decade.  In fact, the last I can remember it was on a flight to basic training (over 20 years ago) – and there were at least a few rows free on the flight this AM.  So I felt particularly happy to have a park bench to myself on the way home.

PM  - 2 miles warm up over to BHS.  2 x 200 to open up a bit (38, 40), then 8 x 400 with 1 minute rest (83, 80, 81, 81, 80, 79, 79, 79) and.then 2 x 200 (37, 39)  I tried to visualize the 200s like these “last 200s.”  Except it did not look that way.

Honest here:  I knew these would be slow.  I know I am slow with the turn over right now because I have done nothing to develop it.  I am not what I was in this arena but that is because I have not done what I did.

I am what I am – I just need to go through the process now if this is what I want to focus on. I have to be okay with that.  I am going to try to do this workout periodically (weekly) to chart progress.    Frankly, there is little little difference between me doing a 200 and a 400 right now.

The scale says I am the same weight I was (which is a bit heavy actually) but – I feel heavier out there lumbering through these (probably all that Canadian beer I drank this week).  All okay … a bit of focus on this and it will start to come back.  7 miles on the day.

Finally hit the Cheeky Monk.  Get brew selection and relatively close.  Hit REI afterwards and got a new headlamp.

9 comments:

  1. Great videos. That's how I imagine myself running. lol

    The Cheeky Monk has a location at Winter Park village too, which is the one I've been to. $$ but fun anyway.

    One of these days I'll have to do a beercation in Belgium. Got some great art too (art major).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quote

    "PM - 2 miles warm up over to BHS. 2 x 200 to open up a bit (38, 40), then 8 x 400 with 1 minute rest (83, 80, 81, 81, 80, 79, 79, 79) and.then 2 x 200 (37, 39) I tried to visualize the 200s like these “last 200s.” Except it did not look that way"

    I have no idea what you are talking about and am proud of it.... ;).

    Wow, a whole row to yourself, nice. I have not been so lucky since a late night trip to Alaska in 1993.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I work at REI and do alot of recovery at the Thirst Monk here in Asheville!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canadian beer sucks!

    The speed will come. It's a skill that needs practice, just like anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin, Kevin, Kevin....I fear that you have only tasted the Canadian-Over Marketed/hyped-Weasle Piss equivalent to Coors, PBR and Michelob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mtnrunner2, yeah a little pricey but not too bad. It was on the kiddos (birthday dinner). Maybe I should have gone even more upscale.

    Jeff - It might be easier if I said 1:20?

    Rick - small world!

    Kevin - agree on the speed, but I got to go with Derrick - there are some good Canadian brews but you have to look for the microstuff versus their version of Coors or Bud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GZ - now that I look at those numbers I admit they went over my head a bit. Lol. My running is so simplistic.

    Derrick - a Canadian housemate in Buffalo is the one who intro'd me "real" brews, I think at C'est What in Toronto. That was the momentous day in my life when I realized beer could actually be good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Cheeky Monk is owned by a friend of mine and they were our sponsor for the Wild West Relay. Great, great couple that own that place!!! And REI...well, I used to work there and had to quit because I always owned them more money than I made!

    I haven't done speedwork in well over a year, I think I'd barf if I were to hit the track right now. I am pretty sure I'm leaving out short intervals for my next marathon, this is the first time I am removing them .... an barrage of reasons I suspect, but I do think short intervals make you have one, lean, hot body! :) You will get faster, you know you will!! No sense in starting the bar too high, right?

    I'm not sure I'll post my entire plan on my blog, but I will post each week what I did that week. I am going with a pretty agressive plan (since I'm basically starting from ground zero), much to my PT's chagrin. He's like, "Maybe we can find a conservative plan to start with your first one?" Nah...where's the pain in that?

    btw, when you only post once/twice a week, you tend to get more comments!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill - I think I heard the Monk was owned by the Daltons? For what it is worth, Jim Dalton is the guitarist in one of my favorite bands (RCPM).

    When I started this blog thing, it was (and really still is) a way to keep a daily running log. I tend to forget what I did 5 days ago. So daily it is.

    Looking forward to watching the marathon plan work unfold.

    ReplyDelete