Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tuesday 090611

Sunday night we went to Lakeside … some shots of the tykes …

IMG-20110904-00797 IMG-20110904-00803 IMG-20110904-00806 IMG-20110904-00802 IMG-20110904-00810 IMG-20110904-00811
Last night the Valliere’s came over for some eats.  The youngest members of the JV clan were quite entertained by the the Norfolks.IMG-20110905-00815 IMG-20110905-00818 IMG-20110905-00819

Pete Magill says enough with paperwork for masters records through the USATF.

Evening – 7 miles.  Just over a mile warm up,  then a half mile at what I perceived to be mile pace (2:35, so in reality I was probably a bit fast) and then 10 x 30 seconds stride with 90 seconds rest.

I found this workout to be really enjoyable in many ways.  It reminded me so much of needing to let the run come to me. 

Going in, I found myself nervous … nervous about the hurt that this sort of running would bring, nervous that the times would not be as I expected them to be.  But then I just got to doing the work.

It was not nearly as fast as I would have liked them to be but I did the half at a speed that I could barely hold for a quarter last week.  I find that I can’t quite get myself to that level of pure anaerobic hurt that I used to yet because the speed is still having to come to me – and my mind almost won’t let me get there?  But it is getting there.  It is as if I am training my legs to remember turn over the same way I am training my mind to find paths that allow it. 

I found that if I strained for the speed, I did not go as fast as if I let it come to me.  After the first hard stride or two, I decided to focus on good speed where I thought about knee lift, thrust and forward motion versus being an explosion.  The velocity would come more effectively this way.

Tonight was a nice progression over last week.  Not all of the runs are going to be this fruitful, but it was a nice little surprise and reminder to trust the process.  I was not real fast tonight, but I was a little faster than last time.

2 comments:

  1. Lakeside: I don't think I've been in there in about 10 years, not since my twins were little. Fun times! I drive by that place from time to time and always wonder if they'll eventually tear it down, it's getting so old, but man that place has some history!

    I find myself in the same spot as youw with the speed and the thoughts about speed. I'm way behind you, though...I have lost so much and I think I just need to stop obsessing about it and it will come more naturally. Thanks for all your thoughts on this, very helpful indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill - I thought about you when I wrote that.

    It is easy for us to think that we are what we were. But the body does not work that way. It will get back to what it was a heck of a lot faster than it took for us to get here, but it does take time to get it back.

    I'm very happy that my kids dig Lakeside ... much better than Elitches on the wallet.

    ReplyDelete