Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wednesday 112812

Got out in the evening for a run.  I thought I’d get a good couple of hours in as I had a longer window.  I cut it short (10 miles).  I have run in a fair number of cities, but I think this one (Buckhead) has to be one of the most frustrating to navigate as a runner.  I try to look at every run as something positive (better than not going) but this one was pretty trying.  This concrete jungle is some of the least inspiring locale I have ever seen.  I might look for a more residential area that I can hide in and do loops, as it would be more productive and sane than getting around anywhere else.  The traffic is so bad that they have cops at all the traffic light intersections to enforce the traffic light activity.

16 comments:

  1. Its pronounced 'onay onay'. Probably only so you can look silly and sound silly at the same time. While winning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still want to figure out how to apply a different outsole to the Bondi to extend the life. The Bondi's are crap. I'm almost thinking about doing ShooGoo with strips of mountain bike tire. Good ole' hill billy rigging. But ya, the Hokas are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have said the Bondi's *outsole* is crap, their wear life is short. Love the shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I have a pair of the Bondi's that got crushed running up Mosquito over the summer. I think over the Christmas holiday I am going to take a pair of Crosslites that I have (that I find too tight in the heel) and strip their sole (as they have an awesome sole) and cement them on the Bondis for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also found the ped infrastructure in Atlanta to be about as terrible as anywhere. It's especially ironic because they have Emory Univ and the CDC there, which my wife always thought would be cool for jobs, but the place is a public health nightmare of obesity, smoking, and crappy infrastructure (guess they could use the help). Only thing that's nice is getting around easily by MARTA and I guess running in the major parks. And a cafe called "Flying Biscuit."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been running in the Bondi's and love them. I previously wore out a pair of the Stinson EVO hybrids.

    I was going to race TNF50 in them but now with the rain/mud I just got a pair of the EVO's.... I notice such a difference running in the Hokas. I really wish I could get the same feeling in more minimalist shoes... but I can't. Embracing the moon boots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Stinson Evo's, my go to shoe for high volume training after harder workouts when my SCOTT's are waiting to tear it up some more;) Had really bad luck with the Bondi's caving in under the big toe and causing weird hip joint pains. Threw out 2 pairs of Bondi's in less than 200 miles. Have 300+ on my Stinsons and they look new-ish. Really like the way the shoe feels at toe-off- not mushy at all, but not stiff either. It must be the geometry of the rocker sole, but I swear I can feel it propelling me forward at flat to gently uphill angles. I NEVER wear this shoe on a technical run because of the height from the ground, but on gravel forest roads or buffed trail, it is really smooth. I definitely disagree with Sage's weight assessment of the shoe- my size 9.5's weigh about 12.5 oz from the factory and right at 12 oz with no insole and the laces cut out and replaced with better laces that go up to the top lace hole. I have a good scale to measure such things. 12 oz sounds like a lot, but I actually have some good PR's in this shoe on training courses I have pushed hard in much lighter shoes. Goes to show that we can run harder when our bodies don't hurt. This shoe could go down an oz or more with one of the new fangled mesh uppers appearing on shoes these days. I'm sure this is in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, love me the Hokas. Don't love the price but I have sort of come to terms with it at probably two pair a year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GZ: Yeah, ATL can be crazy. My folks live in Roswell, which is near Buckhead, and I've been running in the same area there for years when I visit. From Holcomb Bridge Road, head down Eves Road a few miles and then you run into River Road, which has a path along it. River Road is flat and fast and a great place to hammer it. It'a where I did my 10-mile tempo run last weekend. You can go for many miles.

    The Appalachian Trail outside of ATL is pretty sweet from what I hear.

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you near Piedmont Park? That area seems like it would not be too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Possibly. It is about 4-5 miles away. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wyatt - yeah those are a bit out there for me for where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's something I don't understand about athlete "sponsorship". SC is now sponsored by Scott and wears their shoes, right? How then, can he continue to do shoe reviews by other manufacturers, especially when he provides favorable commentary? I understand how independent SC could do this in the past but am missing how this works now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No idea. Then again, a PI athlete wearing a PI jersey wore Hokas and won HR this year.

    ReplyDelete