Thursday, July 24, 2014

Thursday 072414

News related stuff:  Deakins-Roche article, and Must.  watch.  this.



AM – struggling (slightly but noticeably) physically this week.  Probably a bunch of obvious reasons why, but unfortunate as I feel pretty good mentally.  Jogged over to the University of Cork College track – the Sonia O’Sullivan track,  but found the legs were still grumbly. 

IMG_1830IMG_1828IMG_1829
It is a gorgeous track,  Lights for night stuff, and meticulously marked with indicators on the side stating what starts and finishes in each respective spot.  No one else on the track this AM other than a single elderly gentleman walking in his button down shirt, with tie and wind breaker.   I kept waiting for him to break out a stopwatch and bark at me.

Jogged through the neighborhoods.  6 miles.
 IMG_1831
MOR pointed out to me last night that these combinations of lower and upper doors are left overs on the South Mall when the river ran there.  The lower door was a door down to the river and your boat.  The upper door was well above the river.IMG_1832IMG_1833

Listening for the day.

Yeah – evening, an update to the post.  I decided to wander over towards the Mardyke area again tonight.  I noticed that there was quite a bit of activity at the track.  Like a LOT with a fair number of groups doing some pretty zippy stuff (I saw a few 300s at 42).  I jumped on and rolled around a bit on my won, doing a few miles at 5k pace (5:40 to start and even managed to get them a bit quicker over each) .  Still didn’t feel awesome but I clearly was able to muster an effort just based on the community energy there.  Quite a different vibe on this track than the one I was on up on Richmond (Vancouver) a few weeks ago.  Same number of people, but one was clearly a walker’s track (there) and one was a runner’s track (here).  8.5 miles.

2 comments:

  1. skull and crossbones on the track sign?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that awesome? Apparently it is Cork College's symbol!

      Delete