Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Tuesday 072214 and Wednesday 072314

Hope you got your R2R2R by now because that party looks to be over  pretty soon kids.

News related stuff and links:  perceptions and reality article by Magness, lots of stuff in here including how endurance impacts your immune system, the impacts of altitude, etc, a more technical article on lactate, you lose what you don’t train, longer read on LA, cool read from Dakota on HR, good Mt Marathon vid, and a great interview with Leo M. 

Brad Barton became the oldest guy to run a sub 4:20 not too long ago and here is video from that.  I linked it into where he is about to start the last lap and he talks about starting his kick too soon and too hard.  And then of course he is a mess for a few minutes afterwards.

I couldn’t muster myself  for a go on Tuesday, as I fought the lag.  Slept in a bit in the AM and fielded calls back with North America in the evening.

IMG_6306
IMG_6311
Quirky place on Phoenix Ave (right next to the hotel)IMG_6304IMG_6309
I had the lamb again.  IMG_6301IMG_6303
My room is the one just to the left of the Irish flag.

Wednesday AM – fitful sleep.  Got up and thought I’d take advantage of yesterday’s day off, but I found I couldn’t muster the strength to force pace well.  A few harder efforts in there, including a start at a crack at a mile but it started too fast and fell apart quick … not much more than weekend hobby jogger effort.  7.5 miles.  At least I found Brownie’s stolen bike from a few years ago.

IMG_1827

Every cabbie I have had this week gives me the weather report.  Talks to me about how hot it is going to be at 21 to 24 degrees.  That is 75 F for you Yanks.  And it is not a 75 like Tel Aviv, even though it is a bit humid over here.  They look at me like I am nuts when I mention I left 35 C temps, and that next month I will be going someplace where it is 40 C.

10 AM hits here and it is tea time. 2 as well.  Everyone takes 15 and gets on with their tea and scone.  I do coffee. 

The general pain in the tooth I had as I traveled here has subsided a bit, except occasionally when I tag it with a good bite.  So percussion can light it up a bit.

Evening – no running.  Walked a bit in Cork with my colleague and lifetime local here MOR.  He showed me a few things I had not seen yet, and provided a context only a native could.

Not a bad backyard if you can get it.IMG_6357
Looking west on the Lee River, south fork
IMG_6316
Old Beamish brewery … being torn down as Beamish is now run out of its owner brewery, Hieneken on the north side of town
IMG_6317
St. Finbarre's CathedralIMG_6321IMG_6324IMG_6330
MOR sizes up one of the many graves around the cathedralIMG_6331
More along the Lee RiverIMG_6353IMG_6355 Drummers on the mall performing
IMG_6370
She did not know I was taking this shot
IMG_6359
Boys jumping into the river off the “shaky bridge”IMG_6360IMG_6362IMG_6369

5 comments:

  1. The Grand Canyon: I was thinking of R2R2R some day, but it's on the outer edge of my abilities, so it may not happen in time. But then, I usually gravitate towards the road less traveled anyway.

    Still, too bad if the misbehaved ruin it for all of us. Spending a lot of time on trails, I see a lot of clueless jerks as well as a lot of nice people. I get it to some extent.

    Enjoying the pictures of Cork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we can love places to death.

      I get what they are doing at the Canyon. Can't say that I am a fan of it, If buses of folks are showing up and getting stupid in depths of it, they are going to respond. It will just become a something you need a ticket to do, and the focus will then become some other route somewhere.

      Delete
    2. I would be interested in what percentage of people that need assistance in the canyon are regular folks versus R2R2R people. Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was regular people. Also, the article talks about how overcrowded the lodges and campground is down there - but by definition those are not R2R2R people.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that is why I think the rules that go into place are going to be agnostic to runners (hence their comments on speed not being an issue) and more about some sort of user system (we only allow this many people on foot travel a day, regardless if runner or hiker).

      Delete
    4. That would be completely reasonable.

      Delete