AM – seriously unmotivated to get out of the bed. I realized however that if I did catch at least a half an hour, I’d feel a little clearer than not doing anything at all. I found some true single track trails in University (not a pic of that below) and sloshed around those for a bit. 3.7 miles. I listened to a good interview with Coburn from HOR episode 251.
Also now queued up in the podcast lineup now is Flotrack’s “Track After Dark” and Magness Science of Running podcast.
Pot and ultras … uh, yeah. As I have groused about here before, it is a possible performance enhancer in ultras. “The person who is going to win an ultra is someone who can manage their pain, not puke and stay calm,” said veteran runner Jenn Shelton. “Pot does all three of those things.”
Red eye flight back home tonight.
Seems that for Mr Collins it is certainly a performance enhancer, or at least an after performance enhancer. Then again I like a beer or three after a long run.
ReplyDeleteNever been to Charlotte; how is it for running.
Have fun with the snow cave.
Truth is that if we believe something will enhance performance, it probably will. I think I read a study last year where people were told they were getting EPO, they really were not and they improved anyway.
DeleteI did not get a lot of Charlotte running this go around but the Mallard Creek Greenway has been good in the past ... it was under heavy construction in parts this go around though.
If I was finishing a race and heard someone (that beat me) say they used weed or EPO before the face I would think they cheated. If I heard them say they took two Tylenol and that helps their pain and allowed them to finish faster I wouldn't think twice. It's somewhat hypocritical of me because I got no beef against weed and I don't think I consider it a performance enhancer. In fact, now that I think about it I encourage marijuana for others before races.....it may improve my performance.
DeleteThe lines we draw are truly arbitrary.
DeleteOne of the biggest problems we have in society today (IMHO) is that we try to apply the same rule(s) across the board to be "fair." You can't do that--sends you down too many slippery slopes. You have to make judgment calls. So, to me there is a difference between Tylenol and mary jane in ultras. One is OK; one is not. #GOM rant done.
DeleteAgree with Wyatt's take on weed vs Tylenol.
DeleteLast summer I had a long conversation with a very well-known ultrarunner (name to be withheld) about marijuana and racing and whether or not it enhances performance. He told me it's all about dosage and timing. If you OD on the stuff (not clinically), you'll get tired and apathetic and probably DNF because all you want to do is sleep. But if you take the right dosage and are used to it from daily or almost daily consumption, then it'll help you deal with the pain, relax a bit, and maybe find GI happiness. In the right doses, it'll also induce hunger (as we know) and thus you're able to get in the calories you need without much of a GI risk. So, in the right doses and at the right times, it is a performance enhancer, from what I was told. To me, it has no place in ultras. Plus, no one ever talks about the risks of lighting up in the woods--not a good idea.
ReplyDelete