Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday 033015

We celebrated someone’s birthday last night (even though it is today).

This is an interesting and compelling story regarding donkey and vets here in CO.

This video makes the Balch Field House look completely awesome.

Go figure. Compression gear doesn’t do shit.

For those who keep score, Barkley had no finishers this year.  Farthest a guy (Coury) got was three and a half laps.  Yeah … not for me.  I ain’t that tough.

Been on a CCR (no not Creedance) kick as of late.  Today’s listening:

Another hot and windy day.  10.1 miles, steady.  My legs felt heavy to start but they lightened up a bit over the run.  Tripped over 1000 miles on the year today.  Fairly certain I have never done that by April 1.   I was about 670 miles at this time last year, 897 in 2013, 952 in 2012 – but that came off more aggressive January and February months with a LOT of treadmill.  Same sort of stuff in 11 and 10, probably with a lot more mill miles.

8 comments:

  1. Compression, I think it depends. I use the calf sleeves for just about every run (or sometimes keep them around my ankles on the ascent and pull them up for the descent), I don't ever for a second think they make me faster, but I do believe they help keep tendons and ligaments in line, as well as reduce shock and jarring on long downhills (half of every run for me). I often say/think, "they don't make me faster, but I feel better today because I wore them yesterday". As additional benefits, they are great to protect the lower legs when bushwhacking and sometimes protect me in deep snow on warmer days. Price can be a drawback, but I wait until they are on sale and I find that the brand I buy (Zensah) last for quite some time. The only real drawback is that they look goofy, but I look goofy no matter, so it all works out. Upper body compression for runners though does crack me up, especially in the case of the gal in the linked article. That obviously does nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh ... the brain. There was a study where they told people they were giving them EPO. But they really were not. And people improved anyway.

      Delete
    2. My achilles heel. I am definitely not fooled into thinking I am improving, just trying my best to minimize my decline. I think I need a new placebo.... ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, nice on hitting 1,000 miles so early in the year. You had me curious, so I tallied mine, 272 as of yesterday (but I have 118,000 vert. in there). Still light though with being sick and dealing with this ongoing wonky knee issue, hope to turn things around here soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I have about 4x your mileage (3.7 actually), but but 1/3 your vert (about 32 percent). Somewhere between us is probably the right kind of training.

      Delete
  3. When guys get together to run, we talk about beer, kids, what race is next. I wonder when these gals get together - do they sit around and acknowledge how hot they all are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I get together with Bob, Lucho, Timko, Jeff, we most definitely talk about how hot we are.

      Delete
  4. Most certainly if you wear compression gear in bright orange and pink you will break 5 at PPM.

    ReplyDelete