Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thursday 031915

AM – I woke up and it was pouring out.  I decided I did not want to risk running out doors in the dark, rain, fighting city traffic on roads that often don’t have a sidewalk.  And given my wipeout luck as of late, if I had I’d probably fall through a sewer grate or sumthin.  I hit the hotel gym and the treadmill for the first time in probably close to a year, maybe longer.  8.1 miles in an hour, that started crazy slow (12 m/mile) but I eventually woke up, and brought it around to some running.

Matt Carpenter has apparently been elected into the Colorado Hall Running Hall of Fame.  Based on the little I know of Matt, I’d guess he will feel honored, but at the same time sort of not care much, as he seems content to let his accomplishments speak for themselves.  In any case, this is a long overdue election.  From my perspective, you can’t help but wonder if Matt was passed over because of his outspoken nature on many topics in running, including taking shots at the USATF – as many of the HOF committee folks appears to be a part of the USATF in some regard.

Initial confirmation lists for Pikes are up.  As there are 900 listed right now for the marathon and the entry site says they will take 800, I’d say that is full with the expectation that some will get pulled or some will DNS.  1600 in the Ascent so still some room there.

Caught Chef on the flight home.  Solid. 

Came home to this.  10 seconds after this pic was taken, he swung his arms out (like he was swimming) and broke a nearby glass.IMG_3148

13 comments:

  1. I had mistakenly thought you knew Matt pretty well. At any rate, my opinion (for whatever it's worth) is that his Leadville record is the stoutest trail 100-mile record of all (I said trail, not road, as I think Yiannis' 24-hour record is probably the craziest...and the 50-mile and 100K records are strout, too). I think there's an extremely small number of people right now who might be able to get close to it and maybe break it (Kilian might have the legs and lungs but would he mentally want to suffer like that from start to finish--or take short breaks and wait for the others :-)?). It's too bad the course has changed since his 2005 CR.... Oh, yeah, and then you got all those Pikes wins. The guy is legendary. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think his Pikes Peak Marathon record is tops. Imagine any other marathon where the winners each year typically don't get within 1 minute.......PER MILE.......of his course record pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say I know Matt well. I have exchanged some emails with him, and he has been great in providing candid, well placed and passionate feedback about running, racing and Pikes. Along the way, he has shared some thoughts about his experiences, or his opinions on some topics. I feel really fortunate that he has been willing to share like that but I don't think that means I know him pretty well. In fact, I'd say folks that run with him at the Incline Club or visit his custard shop probably know him better than me.

    The Bergsten interview, which I think is really the last one of significance with him, is great. He talks about that record at Pikes, how he feels he could have gone under two hours in the climb if he was not playing it safe for competition in the marathon, and what he thinks it will take to break that record. There are guys who have been clearly faster than Matt come to Pikes (men with faster marathon PRs) and guys who were probably stronger (say Sage with his depth of experience at 50 milers), but none that have combo'd up those traits like Matt and when hyper focused on exacting everything out of the course the way he did.

    I only know of two guys who trained on the mountain the way he did. He of course is one, and Scott Elliott is the other. It is one thing to get on the course a couple of times for 3-2-1s. It is another to run on it every day. It is another to live at Barr Camp for a month. And it is another to live on it with the exacting focus to determine where you will put each foot. Those guys did that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This HOF stuff better not mess with the hours at his custard shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for Matt.
    Pikes is going to be way more brutal than the Mt Washington Road Race that I am currently super bummed about not getting picked to do. The wine should help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brownie - you can't cover for Matt's shift that night?

    Bob - MW is pretty damn brutal. That road never lets up except for that one 50 yard stretch. Pikes actually gives you a lots of places where the grade settles down for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Matt has a custard shop?
      Yea, mile for mile Mt Washington seems harder, but for a flat lander like me the elevation of Pikes seems daunting. I would love to do it but I have no practical way of training for the elevation. Perhaps some year I will come out to spectate and enjoy some custard.

      Delete
    3. Matt owns a custard shop. http://gazette.com/article/131506

      Delete
  7. I would LOVE to do PPM. I think that race is designed for me more than almost any other. And it's scary to think that even when I'm in top shape, I MIGHT be able to get within 20 minutes of Matt C. What a stud. You're awesome GZ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David - I am sure with your resume you'd easily get in on a competitive entry request. Let me know if you want a hand in what is necessary there.

      Delete
  8. GZ! I'm glad you didn't risk breaking your neck out on the street in the rain in an unknown place. I was running over in Cap Hill a couple weeks ago and it was constantly stop and go traffic and, well, wiped out and broke my hand. We make a mightly fine wipeout team. No time for that!

    Remember when I said I'd never do PP again??? Well..... PPA this year. I'd rather do the full marathon as I love the downhill, but just not the right year. I'm surprised it hasn't filled yet being an anniversary year and all.

    Been great following your training, GZ! Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill - awesome to hear. PPA ... all the fun of the marathon, without the soul crushing and tooth enamel wasting element of the descent. Excellent! Get the wing well!

      Delete